5 Healthy Breakfasts to Try STAT!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The days are getting colder and exam season is in full swing.  Inevitably, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed, stressed and possibly sleep deprived.  So, how are you going to get through all of this?  By starting your day off right, with a healthy and heart-warming breakfast of course!

Yup, we’ve all heard it before: breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  Not only does it keep out stomachs satisfied, but it also gives our body energy and can help improve academic performance.  So, we’ve gone ahead a compiled five of our favourite healthy and delicious breakfast recipes to power you through the day. Give these recipes a try and get ready to take the day by storm.

Spiced Apple Oatmeal

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 apple (cut half of the apple into cubes)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 to 2 tbsp raisins/sultanas
  • 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
  • Optional: 1/4 cup egg whites for some extra protein

Method:

Pour almond milk and water into a pot.  Stir in cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.  Bring the liquid and spices to a boil. Stir in oats, cubed apples and apple sauce.  Turn the heat down to low and let the oats and apple cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they’re fluffy and cooked.  You can add a splash of almond milk if you like (to thin it out).  After the oats are cooked and apple is soft, stir in raisins/sultanas, vanilla extract and egg whites (if using). Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the other half of the apple and use them to top off your oatmeal. Serve warm.

Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Method:

Firstly preheat your oven to 180C and allow it to warm up whilst you cook. Soak your oats in the almond milk for 10-15 minutes to soften up, and meanwhile, mash your banana roughly with a fork, leaving a few slices behind for decoration. Combine the oats, vanilla extract, baking powder and banana in a bowl. Pour into a small baking dish and top with the remaining slices of banana and some fresh blueberries. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until crispy and browned on the top, and serve with lots of peanut butter.

Maca Cinnamon Pancakes

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup oat flour (buckwheat/spelt/all purpose/whole-wheat flours work)
  • 1 tbs cocnut flour
  • 1 tsp maca powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3 heaped tbsp yogurt
  • 1 tbsp liquid sweetener-maple syrup, agave, honey
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice

Method:

Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. In another, whisk together your wet. Add the dry into the wet and mix until just combined, then STOP MIXING. Leave the batter for 5-10 minutes, during which you can heat up your pancake pan on low heat. When the pan is hot enough such that a droplet of water sizzles loudly and evaporates immediately upon contact, check the consistency of your batter–it should be thick enough to be at ribbon consistency, but not too thick such that it’s a dough. Add a bit of water if needed till it reaches the consistency. Grease your pan well and fry in 1/4 cup or less portions on the pan, flipping when the edges dull and a few bubbles start to pop on top. Cook till bottom is brown, then remove from pan. Serve warm.

Vegan Banana Caramel French Toast

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 2 slices/1 serving of bread, preferably stale
  • 1 large banana
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
  • 1/4 cup plant based milk

Method:

Mash the banana in a wide dish till as smooth as possible. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, maca and milk and whisk. Dip the slices of bread into the custard and preheat your pan on low heat till a drop of water hisses immediately and evaporates upon contact, flipping the bread halfway through. Grease the pan with coconut oil/neutral oil and fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side or till golden brown and speckled. Serve warm.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tbsp ginger (fresh or ground)
  • 1-2 tbsps maple syrup if desired
  • Fruit and toppings of your choice

Method:

Bring the water and milk to a boil on the stove in a small saucepan.  Once the liquid is bubbling, add your oats. Turn the heat down to low and allow the oats to simmer for approximately 5 minutes.  Next, stir in your pumpkin puree, and then add in vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon and ginger.  Allow oatmeal mixture to cook for about 8 minutes or until it has reached your desired consistency.  Pour into a bowl and top it with your desired toppings.  Serve warm.

Christie is a junior at the University of Waterloo, studying her bachelor's of Global Business and Digital Arts with a French minor.  She loves being outdoors and being active, traveling and DIYs.  It's not a secret that she's a foodie at heart.  You can often find her at cafés or in the kitchen cooking something up.  Follow her daily food posts on Instagram @chrissychows
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!