5 Hairstyles to Combat Greasy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We all have those days where we just couldn’t be bothered to wash our hair. With midterm season fast approaching we need to be honest with ourselves. There is a very high chance that we could end up with a greasy mess that we don’t know what to do with (dry shampoo only goes so far ladies). Here are a few hairstyles I hope will help you on those days!

1. Baseball Hat

(Source)

This is by far one of my favourite options. If you’re looking for full coverage to combat the grease, I definitely recommend this. I LOVE wearing hats anyways, and with fall approaching you can even swap a baseball hat for a beanie. You can also braid your hair or put it in a low bun with a hat if you don’t want to leave it out. Hats are just a super cute way to quickly do your hair but still look like you put effort into your outfit.

2. Low Bun

(Source)

This hairstyle goes out to those with shorter hair. As someone who had short hair for quite a while, I know I always struggled to figure out how to style my hair on some days. Try sweeping your hair back and tie a bun low on your head the same way you would if you were doing a high bun. You can totally make it as neat or messy as you want as well, by pulling pieces out or combing your hair back. It’s versatile enough to look professional or everyday cute depending on what you prefer.

3. Ponytails

(Source)

This is honestly my go-to hairstyle for both unwashed days and days where I just don’t know what to do with my hair. The best part about ponytails is that you can either tie them on the top of your head if your hair is long enough or tie it lower on your head if your hair is on the shorter side. Again you can make this as messy or as neat as you want depending on what your own personal style is.

4. French Braids

(Source)

Don’t be fooled ladies, French braids can be done on both long and short hair. If you don’t like the look of French braids, normal braids work great too! I find that braids are a super cute way to look classy really quickly, but also hides your unwashed hair perfectly.

5. Half up – Half down

(Source)

One of my favourite things about this hairstyle is that there are so many different ways you can style the section you are putting up. You can style it in a ponytail, put it in a bun or even braid it back. Just take half your hair and pull it back as if you were tying a ponytail and then feel free to style it the way you want. Personally, my favourite is to just simply take half of my hair back and just tie it in a ponytail like mentioned above. However, this hairstyle is so versatile and there are a thousand different ways to change this hairstyle to suit your own personal style.

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros