5 Fun Things to do in Toronto and Waterloo if you DGAF about the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Of all the calendar events going on during the year, the Christmas season has to be my least favourite. No, this isn’t a guise to a appear as edgy and alternative, if it were, this article would probably be about what’s on sale at Hot Topic or a review of the newest Black Veil Brides Album. I am just not a big fan of Christmas and all the hype and stress that builds until the 25th of December.

Additionally, I swear my ears bleed when I hear most Christmas music. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire makes me envious because I’d like to be in there with them. This sounds like the beginning of a complaint manifesto but the point of this is to show that there are other fun things to do that will help you avoid being packed like a sardine in the Distillery District. No shade to those who enjoy those things!

Here are some suggestions of things to do:

1. Bars. They rule.

Waterloo:

White Rabbit: If you are looking for a great cocktail, I would recommend heading to White Rabbit in Uptown Waterloo. It is more expensive than your average run of the mill bar, so make sure your debit card has more than $7 on it if you go.

The Jane Bond: Also located in Uptown Waterloo, this is the place to be for a more laid back and cozy experience. I recently stumbled upon this bar (literally), and had a great time hanging out here. They have different events on certain days of the week, so check out their website and see if anything appeals to you. It is also a vegetarian restaurant!

Toronto:

Rush Lane & Co.: Do yourself a favour and check out Rush Lane & Co. at 563 Queen Street West. The atmosphere is awesome, and the bartenders are knowledgeable, friendly, and entertaining. I recommend trying their drink “Snake in the Grass”, which is made with Elderflower Liqueur (oooh fancy!).

Labyrinth Lounge: Another place worth checking out in the cold month of December is The Lab, located on 298 Brunswick Avenue. No, David Bowie and his creepy goblin hair will not be luring you into a cellar for a strange hour and forty-one-minute experience…The Lab is an awesome place to hang and have a drink with your friends. You can go upstairs or downstairs depending on your mood and sip on one (or a few) of their cheap drink specials.

2. The Movies

Waterloo

Princess Cinemas: There are plenty of great things to see this December. The Princess Twin Cinema in Uptown is currently offering flicks such as: Green Book, Boy Erased, and Free Solo.  Take advantage of their student discount by bringing your WatCard and see a movie for $9.

3. Go for a Skate

Waterloo

There is skating available right here in Uptown Waterloo in the Waterloo Public Square. So, strap on the skates and let’s see those ankles bend!

Toronto

Nathan Phillips Square: If you plan strategically, you can avoid the crowds and skate at Nathan Phillips square. Nighttime is primetime, so if you want to be able to move, go earlier. There are also multiple rinks located around the city that have fun skates and shinny.

4. Find a New Restaurant

Waterloo

Masala Bay: Despite being so white that Bic asked to use my skin tone for a new line of liquid paper, I love Indian food and all things spicy. For some fine dining and great Indian cuisine, check out Masala Bay on Regina Street, and try the lamb vindaloo.

The Duke of Wellington: It’s your typical British Pub complete with older dudes sitting around the bar watching soccer. The Duke has great weekly specials such as $5 burgers on Mondays, and all-day wing deals/ pitcher specials on Tuesdays.

Toronto

Red Room: You’ll find this gem on 444 Spadina Ave. They have cheap food and sangria. I shouldn’t have to say anymore but I will. They have a wide range of food from sandwiches to Pad Thai, so if you go in a group there will be something for everyone.

5. Check in on Those You Don’t Often See.

Anywhere!

We are at that point in the semester where it can feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day to complete our assignments and study. For those not in school, it can be a pretty lonely time of year, no matter what your story is. The holidays make that fact more prominent when there are ads all over the place promoting family time and togetherness. If you can think of some family or friends that may feel this way, maybe check in on them. Even a short phone call, email, or card can make someone feel very special and brighten up a time that may otherwise be dark for them.

4B Legal Studies and Business student. I enjoy live music and stand-up comedy.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!