5 Different Types of Students You Will See at the University of Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The first week of school can be hectic, especially when you’re in first year. You don’t know what to expect with your classes, the clubs you sign up for, or the people.  Well, to help you divulge your curiosity and lessen your first year oblivion, here are 5 different types of students that you are sure to run into during your time at the University of Waterloo!

1. The Front of Class Keener

If you want a friend who is focused, attentive, and ready to get that 4.0 GPA, sit next to the person who is sitting at the front of the class – the keener! The keener is that one person in the class who who will always be sitting front and centre, with their hands help up, answering every question the professor has to ask. These are the people you want to turn to if you need help on that last-minute study session! Shoutout to the keeners, we love you!

2. Sweats on Sweats

You are going to run into people who show up to school wearing sweats on sweats. You will also run into people wearing their pajamas, looking like they just got out of bed. Don’t be afraid. Don’t be alarmed. This is normal. The longer you attend UW, the more you will understand how normal (and honestly, great) this is!

3. All Dolled Up

You’re at an 8:30 AM class, struggling to even keep your eyes open. When you manage to open them, you see that one person with their makeup perfectly done and their hair beautifully styled. Don’t be surprised, be impressed! Shoutout to the girls (or guys) who manage to get out of bed on time to get their brows on fleek or perfect their winged liner, we all commend you!

4. Gamers

So you’re at DC trying to find a seat in the middle of exam season and you’re at a dead end. As you’re pacing back and forth looking for an empty table, you see that one person using their study desk as a gaming desk to play League of Legends. Unfortunately, this is just something all UW students have to get used to at one point or another!

5. That 1 Person Who Doesn’t Study But Always Gets a Better Mark

Have you ever met somebody who never attends class and barely studies, yet somehow manages to get a better mark than you? This person is the understated genius who we all despise yet greatly admire. How do they do it?!

A University of Waterloo student who loves to read, write, and empower women!
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets