This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I am an avid fan of reading and always get excited when I hear that a book I liked is going to be made into a movie or show. I firmly believe that reading the book beforehand enhances the viewing experience, as it allows you to compare what you pictured in your head to what you are watching. It is also exciting to notice the differences between both pieces of content; sometimes only small details are changed, while other times things are completely different. 

Here is a list of 4 great books that have been developed into TV shows or movies:

Mindhunters

Book (448 pages)

I had been told a countless number of times to watch the show “Mindhunter” but refused until I had time to read the book. When I finally got a copy, I could not put it down. I love true crime stories and was kicking myself for not reading this book earlier. If you are like me and read the book way too fast, the author John Douglas has written other great books such as: The Cases that Haunt Us, Killer Across the Table, The Anatomy of Motive, and many more.  

TV Show (2 seasons), Netflix 

The TV show Mindhunter follows a fictional FBI agent named Holden Ford who, like the real FBI agent John Douglas, interviews various murderers that are imprisoned across the United States. Notable interviews include Ed Kemper in S1. E2 and Jerry Brudos in S1. E7. 

Black Hawk Down

Book (400 pages)

This book was written by journalist Mark Bowden and follows the true story of the Unified Task Force and its mission to capture political leader Mohamed Farrah Aidid in 1993. The book specifically looks at the Battle of Mogadishu, and the two US Black Hawk helicopters that were shot down, which resulted in intense combat and a high number of casualties. 

Movie, Netflix

The movie was released 2 years after the book was published and did an excellent job of telling the story of what went on during the Battle of Mogadishu. It featured a cast of well-known actors such as Eric Bana and Tom Hardy and won 2 Academy Awards for best film editing and best sound mixing.

Killing Eve

Book #1 (Code Name Villanelle, 224 pages), Book #2 (No Tomorrow, 256 pages)

Originally titled “Codename Villanelle” this series is comprised of 4 short novellas by Luke Jennings that are now available in the format of 2 books. The plot follows a Russian orphan named Villanelle, who’s violent past attracts the attention of a group called “The Twelve”. She is then trained to become a killing machine and embarks on various missions where she must assassinate a target provided to her by The Twelve. The killings then gain the attention of MI5 agent Eve Polastri and a game of cat and mouse ensues. 

TV Show (2 seasons), Crave TV

Due to the shorter nature of novellas, I found that I preferred watching the TV show Killing Eve more than reading about it. The TV series is very well done and features a powerhouse cast with Canada’s very own Sandra Oh and the very talented British actress Jodie Comer. The show does feature many elements from the novellas but also does an excellent job in expanding the storyline. 

Girl on The Train

Book (320 pages)

The Girl on the Train is written from the perspectives of 3 different women, Rachel, Anna, and Megan and sequentially uncovers the connections they have with each other. The book evolves to reveal that things are not how they appear to be, while detailing the struggles that Rachel faces as she deals with her alcoholism and recent divorce. Things go awry when Megan is declared missing, with both Rachel and Anna having the pieces to solve the puzzling disappearance; but they just don’t know it. Yet. 

Movie, Netflix

The film adaptation stars Emily Blunt, who received high praise for her performance as Rachel. The movie was just as gripping and violent as the book and did not heavily deviate from the original work. I really enjoyed this movie and especially liked seeing the characters being brought to life, and all the similarities and differences they had as compared to what I pictured when I read the book. 

What are your favourite book-to-movie or book-to-TV-series adaptations? 

4B Legal Studies and Business student. I enjoy live music and stand-up comedy.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!