4 Activities That Will Make Winter Evenings at Home More Enjoyable!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Finding new and interesting activities to do during the wintertime can sometimes be difficult. After all, maybe you’re someone who doesn’t like cold weather and can’t stand to be outside. Or maybe you’re too scared to try to learn how to ski or snowboard. If this is the case, I understand you completely, mostly because I’ve basically just described myself but also because we cold-hating girls deserve to have a good time even when the weather outside is less than stellar. In this article, I’ve compiled a list of winter activities that can be done in the comfort of your own home that will help you pass the time during those cold winter evenings that we’re about to see a whole lot of. 

Activity #1: Spa Night

What better way to truly unwind and get comfortable than to have your own spa night? Of course, what to do during the spa night might vary from person to person, but I’d recommend starting with a warm bubble bath, putting on a facemask of your choice, or alternatively, making your own homemade face mask, and giving yourself an at-home manicure/pedicure (it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary tools, but if you don’t, there are lots of great options on Amazon!) while playing some soothing and enjoyable music. Another great benefit of this activity is that you can choose whether you’d rather do it alone or with other people. After all, a spa night turned sleepover with a group of friends is an amazing way to spend quality time with them and build up your relationship. Overall, self-care is incredibly important, and now, not only have you successfully made the best out of an otherwise cold and boring night, but you’ll also wake up the next day feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!  

Activity #2: Colouring or Drawing by the Fireplace 

Do you remember the colouring books you used when you were little? I definitely remember mine. It was a fairy-themed colouring book that I would spend hours upon hours with, and for a long time, I always looked back on the simple act of colouring with a lot of fondness and nostalgia. However, after buying myself an (adult!) colouring book, it turns out that colouring is just as relaxing and enjoyable now as it was back when we were kids! After figuring this out, I’ve become a big supporter of convincing my friends to get colouring books as well and to use the books whenever they find themselves struggling with boredom. It’s a great feeling to be able to really focus on a task and use your creativity to achieve something; something that doesn’t count for grades or that you’re only doing because you feel you have to! In addition to this, colouring is a great activity for when you’re alone and are looking for a break/recharge that doesn’t involve hopping straight on your phone to scroll through Tiktok or Instagram reels for hours, which is something that I’ve personally struggled with a lot. So, grab your colouring book (or for people who are more artistically inclined, grab your sketchbook), settle down beside a warm and cozy fireplace or a nice winter candle and get to colouring! 

Activity #3: Making Hot Chocolate or Mulled Wine from Scratch

Another activity that pairs amazingly with a cold winter evening is making homemade hot chocolate or, for those who are of age, making your own mulled wine from scratch. To start, let’s go over the recipe my sister uses to make her amazing hot chocolate. First, boil some water in a kettle, then take out a mug of your choice and add about one tablespoon of cocoa powder and about two tablespoons of sugar. Next, add one tablespoon of heavy cream into the mug. After this, pour the boiling water into the mug (hot milk can also be used as an alternative), and enjoy your hot cocoa as you watch the snowflakes fall outside! 

Now, the mulled wine recipe is a little more involved but still very easy to follow. There are hundreds of mulled wine recipes out there, but for this article, I’ll be using the recipe my mother taught me. To begin, pour a red wine of your choice into a small saucepan that you’re warming over medium heat. Next, slice one apple and an orange, and add it to the saucepan along with half a cup of sugar. Now you’re going to want to add in some spices. Some people tend to go crazy with them, but I typically only add in two cinnamon sticks and six cloves. Now that all the ingredients are combined, gently heat the saucepan on medium heat until it begins to warm up and steam. However, as a warning, it’s important to make sure the wine doesn’t boil, since this would ruin the drink. When the drink starts to steam, put the heat on low, and let the contents of the drink simmer for 10-15 minutes so that all the flavours can get absorbed! Then, pour the wine into a cup and enjoy!

Activity #4: Making a Simmer Pot

Yet another great recipe that has been passed down to me from my sister is the one for a simmer pot! For those of you who are wondering what that is, a simmer pot is a pot that is filled with water and fruits, as well as various herbs and spices. This pot gently simmers on the stovetop and fills the house with a beautiful aroma. There are a lot of different simmer pot scents that can be made, but I’ll be sharing my sister’s. To begin, take a large pot and fill it halfway with water. Then, slice up one apple and two oranges, and put them in the water. Then, add two cinnamon sticks, two-star anises, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Next, bring the water to a medium simmer, and allow the pot to continue simmering so that the smell spreads throughout your house, after which you can turn the stovetop off. I really enjoy making simmer pots since it’s a more natural alternative to scented candles, and I also found that it made the scent last longer than candles typically do. Simmer pots are also great since you can reuse them over the span of a few days by adding more water to the pot periodically. Overall, they’re a great way to add a dash of winter coziness to your home! 

As snow begins to fall, and we start to really enter the winter season, this list of activities serves as a great way to still make sure you’re enjoying the warmth and comfort of the season, while also protecting yourself from the frosty chill outside. Enjoy!

Andra Lang

Waterloo '28

Hey! My name is Andra Lang, and I'm a first year student at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. I'm majoring in Political Science and business, and have aspirations of being a policy analyst after university. In terms of hobbies, I love to draw, listen to music, and go on long walks with my two dogs. I also love to write, though I rarely have the chance to write in a less academic form, which is why I was so drawn to Her Campus in the first place!