This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It can be difficult to say goodbye to falling leaves and apple picking and transition into cold snow and dark nights. I find that one of the best ways to embrace the cold weather is watching festive movies while curled up in a blanket and sipping my favourite drinks. So I’ve made a list of some of the best movies to get you in the mood for winter (and Christmas) over the next month.

Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

I can’t imagine a more perfect movie to get you in the mood for winter; what with the white witch, a neverending winter, and Santa Claus providing children with weapons.

Frozen

What screams winter more than a queen who accidentally sends her country into an eternal winter? 

Five Feet Apart

I don’t know about you, but the end of this movie makes me imagine an entire winter romance novel. 

Ice Age

This movie is the perfect combination of nostalgia and comedy for the winter season! 

Holiday Engagement

So this one might be a little cringe-worthy, but it’s a really great thanksgiving to Christmas transition! 

Love Actually

This is that movie that my family watches every Christmas, it’s timeless and so uplifting. If you haven’t seen it yet, now is the time! 

Arthur Christmas

This movie never fails to put a smile on my face! Bonus: it’s great to watch with the entire family. 

The Princess Switch

I mean, who doesn’t love Vanessa Hudgens, let alone Vanessa Hudgens playing two main characters. Even more, this movie combines royalty with Christmas love. What more can you ask for?
Be sure to check out the sequel where Hudgens takes on three roles!

The Santa Clause

Because what is more classic than cuddling up with hot chocolate to watch this movie? This is a must-see series for all ages. 

Die Hard

Want to get in the mood for winter and the holidays but also need some action? This is the film for you!

A Bad Mom’s Christmas

Movie night with the girls? This is the perfect chick flick for a cold winter night!

Last Christmas

I’ll give you a warning that I was not given going into this movie: bring tissues. 

Jingle Jangle

This new Netflix movie follows a toymaker through struggles with family and motivation. It is sure to warm your heart on a cold winter night! 

Deck the Halls

Any Danny DeVito fans? This movie is full of winter festivities and some (not so friendly) competition. 

Dash & Lily

So maybe this one isn’t a movie, but it can easily be watched in one sitting (or is that just me?). This series follows two New York teens who meet through a notebook at Christmas time. 

Holiday Calendar

Yet another cheesy holiday movie that will make everyone want to find a Hallmark worthy romance? Count me in!

Let it Snow

This book to screen adaptation follows the dramatic day of different high school students who all get impacted by the same snowstorm. Think Love Actually but make it Young Adult. 

The Holiday

This is a favourite in my family and for good reason! Two ladies swap houses around the holiday season in order to escape their lives. This is a romance you don’t want to miss!

A Christmas Prince

Did you like The Princess Switch? If so, you will definitely love A Christmas Prince! This is a Netflix holiday classic, and it is now a trilogy!

The Grinch

Whether you love the classic animated version, the live action version, or even the newest animated adaptation, this is a must-watch! If you’re anything like me, you might have grown a soft spot for the Grinch after all these final exams.

Home Alone

This is a perfect choice if you want a mischievous and light-hearted holiday adventure! 

Elf

Does anyone else want to plan an arctic expedition after watching Buddy travel through the snow to find his dad? Just me?

The Polar Express

This train ride is sure to make you crave a warm cup of hot chocolate and give you a little faith in the magic of Christmas.

Miracle on 34th Street

This is an old classic that is sure to warm your heart on a cold winter night! 

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This movie will keep you laughing the entire time. What are the holidays without a little family drama?

Hey there! I’m Meagan and I’m in my second year as an Honours Kinesiology student. You can catch me spending my free time reading, being outdoors, and thinking of fun new recipes to make!
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!