This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

On November 14th, I I turned 22! To celebrate, here are 22 valuable lessons I’ve learned in my 22 years.

1. Self love may be hard, but it’s the most valuable thing to learn.
  2. Making mistakes makes you human, so don’t be too critical when you make one.
  3. You don’t grow as a person unless you push out of your boundaries and comfort zone — taking risks is essential to your growth, so don’t be afraid to try new things. 
  4. Buy a lavender spray for your pillow cases; it helps with sleep!
  5. Life is way too damn short — go on that vacation today. 
  6. There’s no such thing as bad people, just misguided ones.
  7. Whenever you face a conflict (internally or externally), you gotta confront it head-on, even if it’ll be ugly (e.g. talking things out, asking friends for advice about a problem). Unresolved problems can grow, and it’s better for you to put a stop to it
  8. Try to walk 7,500-10,000 steps a day to maintain your fitness level.
  9. Wear sunscreen! It’s the easiest anti-aging agent.
  10. Holding grudges against people isn’t healthy for you. It’s fine if you don’t forgive them, but don’t give them too much of your thinking time.
  11. Learn to budget! Open that savings account ASAP.
  12. Buy an air fryer or a rice cooker; it’s the easiest and most convenient way to cook meals.
  13. Go to that concert! You never know if that artist will stop touring (e.g. disband, never visit your city again, etc).
  14. Try to go to sleep early. 
  15. Find a hobby so you can utilize your creative outlet.
  16. Cut your screen time by finding screenless activities (ex. colouring).  
  17. Time management isn’t just creating a schedule, but also finding the most efficient way to complete tasks (e.g. finding a software that converts audio to notes such as Otter AI).
  18. Sometimes issues you face in your childhood can still have a lifelong impact in your adulthood. For example, if you have confidence issues with making friends due to childhood bullying, it may prevent you from connecting with people in your adulthood. Therefore, try to resolve them ASAP.
  19. Traveling alone is good for you. It causes you to trust yourself and become more street smart.  
  20. You may not find a Seokjin or Namjoon, and that’s okay. 
  21. Always adopt a growth mindset, not a fixed mindset. You never know if you’re good at something as long as you try!
  22. It’s better to be single than in a toxic or fruitless relationship. Before you love others, you gotta love yourself. The only person that will forever be with you, is YOU!
3rd Political Science and Business Student at the University of Waterloo. In my free time I love gushing over comics, music, feminism and exploring new places (last place I traveled was Taiwan!)