21 Signs You’re A Co-op Student at Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

One of the main reasons why students choose to go to Waterloo is because of the reputable co-op program and gaining real work experience before they graduate…but nobody said it was easy being a co-op student.

Here are 21 signs you’re a co-op student at Waterloo:

1. When you’re in school, you actually don’t know where you’ll be 4 months from now because you’re constantly relocating.

This is exciting and stressful at the same time.

2. You hate taking the non-credit professional development (PD) courses while on co-op.

PD courses are like flies you can’t shoo away because they keep coming back. While you’re on co-op, you don’t want to do any type of coursework and PD is the last thing you want to think about.

Good thing you only need a 50% to pass.

3. After PD1, your resume game is so strong.

After learning what your resume should and should not look like, you learned how to tweak your resume so it stands out from the crowd.

4. You have a Linkedin account.

…because you probably keep your Linkedin profile more updated than your resume and you use it to connect with potential employers.

5. Jobmine.

Need I say more?

6. But now Jobmine is going to become WaterlooWorks as of Winter 2017.

Since we waited forever for WaterlooWorks, we’re all a little curious as to how it will compare to Jobmine.

7. When you realize you need experience before you get experience…before you get experience.

You need working or extra-curricular experience related to what you want to do after graduation in order to get a co-op job. And you need co-op jobs in order to get a full time job.

Life is hard.

8. When you meet someone cool in first-year, only to realize that you’ll be on different co-op streams.

When you’re in school, they’re on co-op; when they’re in school, you’ll be on co-op. RIP any chance of friendship.

9. Somehow being able to manage a full course load, participate in extracurriculars and/or have a part-time job while going through multiple interviews in the span of 12 weeks.

That means you’re dead by the end of the 12 week period.

10. Interviews no longer phase you.

Since you go through so many interviews in a term, you can answer any frequently asked interview question in your sleep.

11. You’ve run from an interview to class in your interview clothes at least once.

…And vice-versa.

12. You know exactly what to wear for an interview.

Because you have a collection of interview clothes in your closet ready for you at any time

13. When choosing an interview time slot becomes the Hunger Games.

You’re constantly checking Jobmine and your email 24/7 just so you can get a prime interview timeslot.

14. Ranking day is the most terrifying day.

It’s the day you find out if you got the job or not and whether you have to keep looking for a job in continuous.

15. Burnout is a very real feeling.

Due to the lack of breaks between school and co-op, at one point or another, you’ve probably felt burnt out from constantly working.

16. Constantly feeling like you would rather be in school when you’re on co-op and on co-op while you’re in school

You can never win.

17. You know how to network like a pro..

…because of all of the networking events you’ve attended in hopes of landing a job. You also did some networking while you were on co-op at your workplace.

18. You never have to worry about being alone during a co-op term.

Companies usually hire multiple co-op students and they usually bond together. If you’re the only co-op student, there’s Co-op Connection which helps co-op students in cities like Toronto and Ottawa connect with one another.

19. The amount of money you make during co-op makes you feel a little less in debt

It also means you can treat yourself more than usual.

20. You learn things you wouldn’t learn in the classroom.

There’s only so much you can learn in a classroom.

21. Even though the process of finding a co-op job is stressful, it’s definitely worth it in the end.

And after graduation, you’ll have some experience of what it’s like working.

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets