This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Sometimes I think 19 years is way too much and I already know all there is to know about the world. Then I remember that 19 years is not nearly enough because I’m still not sure what the perfect amount of milk to cereal ratio is! I have learnt a few things though and maybe, just maybe 19 years isn’t all that bad. Hopefully some of these things can help you guys out!

1) Trashy TV solves a lot of things.

Staying up late to make yourself laugh is never a bad thing.

2) Homemade cookies are best.

Because as great as store bought cookies are, nothing compares to a homemade chocolate chip one.

3) A night out here or there isn’t going to ruin your grades.

Seriously, breathe, you can do this. Make sure to enjoy your time at university – it doesn’t always have to just be studying!

4) There’s nothing wrong with wearing all black all the time.

It’s quick, easy, and gives off an edgy vibe. Plus you can totally pretend to be a ninja if you want too.

5) Sleep in.

Waking up at noon isn’t something to be ashamed of; you don’t have to do everything in one day. Keep your body well rested!

6) Your mum knows everything.

Even the things you didn’t tell her. Don’t worry though – she’ll always love you!

7) Coffee is a blessing.

Enough said.

8) To–do lists really do save lives.

Write one and you’ll never forget about tests or assignments again. Bonus points if you have it on your phone so it’s always with you.

9) Do your makeup how you want and wear the clothes you want.

Be who you want to be. Don’t pay any attention to negative people who make you feel bad. Strut your style and be confident!

10) Cute mugs will always make you feel better.

It’s even better when they have super clever slogans. Check out Indigo for inspiration (they’re worth the price we promise).

11) Learning how to cook is the best decision you’ll ever make.

Seriously there’s only so much pasta one person can eat. Buy a cookbook written for students on low budgets, your tastebuds and wallet will thank you.

12) Wine’s almost always the answer. But so is ice cream.

Know which one to pick when you need it. Better yet; get wine ice cream ;) #noshame

13) Money is always going to be tough.

Sometimes you won’t have enough for toilet paper and that’s okay. Accept it.

14) Always save your essays.

They’re great to look off of, give to your younger siblings as essay guideline help, plus you’ll feel extra smart re-reading the ones you aced.

15) Your grandparents and parents know a lot. Ask them for advice.

Listen to their stories and experiences, you may learn a thing or two and grow a stronger appreciation for them.

16) Don’t fall behind on doing laundry.

Buying more clothes isn’t going to solve the pile on your floor and running out of clean underwear is the worst.

17) Always chug a glass of water when you come home drunk.

You’ll thank yourself in the morning.

18) Always have change on you.

You never know when you’ll need to buy a subway token or bus ticket. Plus it can buy you a much needed ’emergency’ coffee or vending machine snack.

19) Live. Go out and experience things.

Read, explore, travel, do what makes you happy. Living your life to the fullest with no regrets will change your life.

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!