11 Ways to Get Over a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Lately, I’ve had more than my fair share of flings and relationships end, leaving me anywhere from bitter to heartbroken. Here are some tips I’ve used to get over my exes. Hopefully, they work for you too.

1. Cry or yell or punch a pillow

It’s totally understandable to be upset – you clearly had feelings for this person to be dating them, so let your emotions out in a healthy way. Whether this is crying into, yelling at, or punching your pillow, you do you boo. An emotional release will probably have you feeling a little lighter.

2. Delete them off of all social media

Say bye, bye, bye to them on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and whatever else you two followed each other on. You’ll feel better when they aren’t in your face all the time.

3. Drink wine

I’m not saying down the whole bottle and get super drunk, but a glass or two of a nice wine always makes me feel better. If you’re opting for a non-alcoholic option then a nice hot cup of tea or your favourite latte from Starbucks will do the trick too.

4. Watch a happy movie / TV show / Youtube videos

Okay, now that we’ve had our time to be sad, it’s time to distract yourself with something that’ll make you smile. I know dramas and Nicholas Sparks movies are great, but they won’t do much for cheering you up. You know what cheers you up best so grab a cozy blanket (and that glass of wine) to get ready for a good chuckle fest.

5. Delete the pictures and videos

Pictures of conversations, cute couple pictures, screenshots you probably shouldn’t have taken…all these and whatever other pictures you have that remind you of the two of you. Select them all and delete them off your phone. It’s better to make sure they’re all gone so you’re not tempted to look at them and get upset later.

6. Put all the objects in a box / throw them away all together

This one is similar to the pictures. Gather all the things they bought you, made you or gave you, and put them in a box. Or if you’d rather, donate what you can and then throw out or recycle the rest. Out of sight, out of mind.

7. Change your hair

Honestly, I love doing this after a breakup. There’s something about changing your hair, that makes it feel like you’re leaving your old hair in the past with that old relationship. I’ve dyed my hair teal and cut several inches off before. Do whatever you’re comfortable with!

8. Treat yourself to something

Whether you treat yourself to that new hairdo, your favourite take out food, a movie, or that makeup you’ve been dying for – go for it! Whatever you’ve had your eye on lately, now is the time to get it. Why not?

9. Hang out with amazing friends

Text some of your good friends that are in town, invite them over and eat that comfort food. Get them to delete your pictures or dye your hair. Honestly, most of – if not everything on – this list is better with a good support system around you.

10. Work on yourself

Understand that you may have been partially at fault for the break up too. You should take this time to work on whatever mistakes you might have made in the past, figure out why you made them, then try your best to fix them. This means they hopefully won’t be an issue in your next relationship.

11. Accept that it might take time

You might not get over them right away, and you can’t force this process either. Try your best not to dwell on the past, and one day you’ll realize it’s been forever since they even crossed your mind. It gets better with time, trust me.

No matter what collegiettes, remember that you are strong and beautiful all on your own and you don’t need a relationship to validate you or make you feel complete.

Tianna

Waterloo '20

As of 2020, Tianna is a UW alumn who graduated with her BSc in Honours Science, with a minor in Biology and a minor in Music. She can now be found either reading fiction novels, hanging out with friends over coffee or thinking about Christian theology. She continues to blog over at https://theselight-woventhings.blogspot.com/
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets