The 10 Types of People You Will Meet in Your Undergrad at UW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

In a university with over 36 000 people, you are bound to cross paths and interact with many kinds of people; people that come from unique and interesting backgrounds, different from yours. You might hang out with the same people every semester or always run into your old lab partner during your Starbucks run between classes, but there will always be certain people that you’ll always remember.

1. The Nerd;

You know the type, they hide away in every and any building that’s open for 24 hours. They have a hoard of snacks, coffee and energy drinks to try to cram every little bit of information they can into their heads. Oh and that assignment due next week? They already finished it.

2. The Stoner;

The type to usually have something to do with weed on their Snapchat story every other night, wears hipster clothes and listens to the chillest music possible. They can usually be found walking around campus taking time to enjoy the view.

3. The Partier;

Their Instagram and Snapchat is filled every weekend with the most beautiful people dressed to the nines, ready to take on the fanciest club, or doing the most ridiculous stunts at the hottest house party. You probably live vicariously through them since you either don’t know where the parties are, or you have too much homework to ever dream about attending one.

4. The Jock;

You know the type. They usually travel in packs of 3 or more, and all of them are wearing at least one piece of black & gold clothing, usually sweatpants or a sweater saying “Varsity Hockey”.

5. The Bad Roommate;

That smell seeping under your doorway from the dishes that haven’t been done for a week, or that sound of trap music at 3 am when you’re trying to sleep before your 8:30 the next morning, all thanks to that roommate. Whether you had no choice but to live with them, or were friends and thought you would have the best year ever, you’ve somehow made it through (with a lot of complaining to your group chat and mom).

6. The Cute TA;

You walk into your first tutorial of the term and take a seat, get your stuff ready, check your phone, and by the time you look up, there’s an extremely attractive TA getting ready to start the tutorial. Enjoy the eye candy while it lasts! At least there’s something motivating you to go to tutorials now.

7. The Gym Rats;

These are the people that go to PAC as soon as it opens, bring protein shakes to their classes and always carry everything in a gym bag…and their Instagram page? Videos of them lifting, meal prep, or their before and after pictures – which you casually stalk as you eat your last-minute Mcdonald’s dinner.

8. The Annoying Classmate;

These are the people that ask a question about the midterm the first day of classes or raise their hand to ask a question the prof literally just answered. They drive you up the wall and some days you wish you could avoid that class just to avoid them, or at least you pray that you’ll never have a class with them ever again.

9. The Boyfriend/Girlfriend turned Ex;

You know, that special someone that flirted with you at Starbucks that you ended up dating for a couple months? You studied together at Williams, walked one another to class and avoided geese during nesting season together. Then something happened and you two ended things. Since then you’re ducking into empty classrooms and getting coffee from International News to avoid their gaze at any cost.

10. The Best Friend;

Whether you met by sitting beside each other in class, or befriended each other during club or society meetings, you have no idea how you would get through your undergrad without these people. They’ve been one of the most important people to have around and always have your back. I know I’m so grateful for all the friends I’ve made so far, and hopefully I, and you reading this, can keep these friends for many years after graduation.

Whoever you cross paths with during your Undergrad degree, make sure to treat people with respect and to be kind, since you never know what anyone else is going through. Yes, there will be some interesting characters that you won’t forget, but there will be some amazing people that you’ll meet too, if you are up for it.

Cover Photo Credits

Tianna

Waterloo '20

As of 2020, Tianna is a UW alumn who graduated with her BSc in Honours Science, with a minor in Biology and a minor in Music. She can now be found either reading fiction novels, hanging out with friends over coffee or thinking about Christian theology. She continues to blog over at https://theselight-woventhings.blogspot.com/
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!