10 Reasons it’s actually awesome to be single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. More Candy for you! You don’t have to worry about getting candy from your boyfriend and then feeling obligated to share. Buy your own box of chocolates, and if you want the whole freaking thing, eat the whole freaking thing.

2. No gift awkwardness! You don’t have to worry about whether you’re serious enough to buy each other gifts, or how much to spend, or what to get for him.

3. You have zero obligation to shave your legs. Let’s be honest; it’s winter and nobody wants to shave their legs. Fortunately for you, there’s a pretty slim chance that anyone will be touching your bare legs on Valentine’s Day, so nobody else will give a crap if they’re smooth or not. Embrace those winter legs!

4. You can wear whatever the hell you want and no one will care. You can dress for yourself instead of dressing for whatever date location you’re going to. You want to dress up fancy just for yourself, great! You want to spend the day in sweatpants and your oldest t-shirt? Also great!

5. You can flirt with whoever you want. You can leave your number on a napkin for a cute waiter or hit on the guy in line behind you at Starbucks. There are plenty of other singles out there on Valentine’s Day and you get to flirt with ALL OF THEM.

6. Nobody’s going to complain if you want to spend the entire day watching rom-coms. “Valentine’s Day” is my personal go-to V-day movie. And let’s be honest: Bradley Cooper, Taylor Lautner, and Patrick Dempsey are way hotter than any guy you could find on campus anyway.

7. You don’t have to spend any money on a gift for your significant other. What broke student can afford that anyway?

8. You can go see “How to be Single” and totally relate to how much fun being single is. In case you didn’t already know, the comedy comes out in theatres February 12th. And it stars Rebel Wilson. Need I say more? (Watch the trailer on Youtube)

9. There’s no pressure to have a perfect date.  Valentine’s Day is the ultimate #datenight, and if you’re in a relationship, there’s an expectation that you and your significant other have some amazing romantic date. Students have enough stress and pressure to deal with; we don’t need society’s expectations of how we’re supposed to behave in a relationship to add to that.

And finally:

10. You’re the best Valentine you could ever ask for. Who could ever know how to please you better than you? Love yourself and have an amazing Valentine’s Day!

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets