Zoom University: How I’ve Stayed on Top of My Schoolwork

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If you’re anything like me, online school has left you feeling mentally drained and unmotivated. An online environment isn’t the same as going to a physical space, no matter how engaging the lesson. My challenge with distance learning is that I have to hold myself accountable more than ever before. It can be stressful managing my responsibilities without a stable routine to guide me. But I’ve managed to stay on top of my academics nonetheless. These strategies help me navigate Zoom University.

I get ready everyday.

woman eating fresh fruit in a sports bra
Photo by Nathan Cowley from Pexels

Each school day, I get ready as if I have in-person classes. I take a shower, get dressed, put on makeup, and eat breakfast before my first class of the day. This might seem excessive, especially because no one will see you outside of a computer screen. But getting ready has greatly improved my mental health. It creates a sense of normalcy that allows me to be engaged in my classes. By mimicking my daily routine to the best of my ability, online college doesn’t feel as lackluster.

I have a separate workspace.

Bristol working from home scene
Photo by Mikey Harris from Unsplash

I almost fell asleep the first time I took online classes from my bed. Zoom classes make it easy to blur the lines between school and leisure. The best way to tackle this laziness is to differentiate the aspects of your living space. If I take my classes from the same place I’m unproductive, I’m bound to act that way. I only sit at my desk when I attend classes or do schoolwork. And I only sit on my bed when I’m relaxing. I’ve also found it helpful to study outside of my dorm (at a library or a restaurant) because it forces me to be productive.

I stick to my assigned schedule.

Black girl at computer desk writing in journal write natural work corporate african
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

Most of my classes are asynchronous, which is challenging. These courses are scheduled at a certain time but I can watch the pre-recorded lectures whenever I want. So why would I get up early to watch a video when I don’t have to? I find myself asking that question every time I wake up at eight in the morning. But the answer is simple: I won’t watch the videos until the last minute otherwise. By sticking to my supposed schedule, it allows me to be engaged with the lesson and the material. I’ll be stressed out if I watch a multitude of lectures before a big paper or exam. I’ll only be focused on remembering information in the little time I’ve given myself. By sticking to my assigned schedule, I’m much less frantic.

I use a weekly planner.

weekly planner on a tablet
pexels.com

I’m still shocked people go through their academic careers without planners. This tip applies to in-person classes, but is much more prevalent now. I use my planner to have a visual representation of what needs to be done. At the beginning of the quarter, I went through Canvas and wrote down all of the important dates. When I finish an assignment, I cross it off. This way, I have an idea of how to allocate my time each week. If I have my assignments written down in one place, I won’t forget something important.

Annie Melnick

Washington '24

Annie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus UW, majoring in English with a minor in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. She is originally from Los Angeles, and is a self-described bookworm, reality competition show superfan, and coffee connoisseur, among other things.