absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Must-Try, Don’t-Miss Restaurant List for NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Visiting New York City is an absolute top choice when it’s time to choose a fun trip destination—and with two three-day weekends and spring break coming up, it might just be time for you to hop on a flight. NYC might be known for its gorgeous landmarks, tons of history, and Broadway shows, but it also has one of the best food scenes in the country. Travelling can get pricey fast, so here are some restaurants that are college-budget-friendly without sacrificing taste or ambiance. 

1. The Halal Guys 

The Halal Guys serve Mediterranean halal food gyro sandwiches and platters. The gyro plate is a must-try while you’re in NYC! They’re famous for their white and hot sauces that will keep you coming back over and over again. The price is amazingly affordable, with dishes around $10 or less. Don’t let the long lines scare you off—the lines move fast and the wait time is reasonably short. The food is prepared super fast, leaving the customer happy. 

What we ordered: Combo chicken and beef platter. 

2. Patrizia’s of Manhattan

Patrizia’s of Manhattan serves Italian food that makes my mouth water even just thinking about it. I’m not a huge fan of cheese normally, but I love the pizza here. Their pizza crust is really unique, with cheese-filled triangles instead of your standard circle. My favorite food in here is the Nutella pizza—they are flavorful, fresh and tasty, so don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. I would literally visit New York just to eat the Nutella pizza here! The place is also birthday-celebration friendly. Two customers had their birthday on that day, and it was celebrated with birthday songs and festivity from the customers and servers!

What we ordered: Margherita and Nutella Pizza.

3. Fette Sau

Fette Sau serves BBQ style meat, craft beer, and whiskey. It is one of the best BBQ restaurants in New York City. Located in Brooklyn, it’s the perfect spot to refuel after a marathon thrift shopping session in Williamsburg. In this restaurant, I had to share the food with my friends because of how huge the portions were. Insider tip: you have to order meat by the pound so don’t go overboard! The brisket at Fette Sau is especially good, with great flavor and texture. The meat is juicy and not dry, and the mashed potatoes are marinated with mustard, which can leave them a little bit spicy. It’s not the cheapest food but definitely worth stopping by!   

What we ordered: brisket with complimentary potato bread, potato chips, and mashed potatoes. 

4. Five Napkin

Five Napkin serves delicious burgers and shakes—the top destination for American comfort food. The milkshakes are the star of the show, and if you have a sweet tooth like me, this is a spot you would not want to miss when coming to NYC! It’s a chain with locations scattered around New York, so it should be easy to find one no matter what part of the city you’re in. Plus, the servers are remarkably attentive and super friendly. 

What we ordered: The 5 Napkin Burger and Cookies and Cream Milkshakes. 

5. Silver Rice 

Silver Rice serves authentic Japanese food. This place is heaven for Japanese food lovers. The soups are savory and served warm, compliments the rice bowl and sushi. Definitely try their sushi because it is the freshest seafood in town! The place is small yet cozy. Its food is perfect to go, too. 

What we ordered: sushi bowl, rice bowl and soup. 

6. Hummus kitchen

Hummus Kitchen serves Kosher Mediterranean food with a relaxing ambiance of the restaurant. The cauliflower stands out, marinated by appetizing spices, as well as their high-quality chicken. On top of that, the food is served with perfectly dense hummus. 

What we ordered: Mazze Trio and Chicken Kebab.

7. Casa Bella 

Casa Bella serves its signature Italian pizza and pasta. Located in Little Italy in NYC, it feels like you’re actually eating your dinner in Italy! I would say Casa Bella has the best pasta in NYC, and whether you go with Aglio Olio or Fettuccine, they’ll serve you outstanding pasta, sauce, and cheese.

What we ordered: Spaghetti Aglio Olio, Fettuccine, and Veal Cutlet Parmigiana

8. Totto Ramen

Totto Ramen serves delicious ramen noodles in NYC. If you don’t eat pork, don’t worry! They also have chicken and vegan broth here. The long lines here are legendary, but the wait is so worthwhile. All soups can be made spicy too.   

What we ordered: Chiken Paitan, Spicy Paitan

Safira Vasya

Washington '20

About me: I am a pre-med biology student at UW! I am a writing enthusiast, oldies music lovers and a cat whisperer since ‘98. Find me on Twitter @SafiraVasya Let's chat!