sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Guide to Making More Sustainable Clothing Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s 2019. Essentially everyone understands the dire importance of taking steps to help alleviate humankind’s negative impact on the planet. Whether it’s using reusable water bottles or straws to help lower the amount of plastic in our landfills and oceans, avoiding meat and dairy to reduce one’s impact on greenhouse gases, or even taking shorter showers to reduce one’s water usage, there are many ways to reduce one’s negative impact on the Earth. Another way is to be more conscientious about the way one purchases clothing. The documentary The True Cost examines the negative environmental impacts the garment industry and “fast fashion” has on air, water, and soil pollution, as well as pesticide contamination. The garment industry also exploits countless low-wage workers in developing countries through a system focused entirely on profit, making it bad for both the planet and the people living here. 

With that being said, here are some was to purchase clothing in more ethical, sustainable, and better-for-the-environment ways:

• Buy From Sustainable & Ethical Retailers

Clothing retailers such as Everlane, Alternative Apparel, Outdoor Voices, and KOTN pride themselves on their use of recycled and sustainably-made materials. For example, the brand Everlane’s  ReNew collection consists of outerwear made partially from recycled plastic bottles. And while the some of the prices are undeniably high, it is important to note that the use of higher quality materials results in higher quality clothing pieces—meaning you probably won’t have to go out and purchase yet another plain white t-shirt ever again.

• Shop Secondhand 

So it’s obvious that investing in ethically-made clothing comes with a hefty price tag. The low price of “fast fashion” (and human exploitation) is what allows the garment industry to thrive. Fortunately a more inexpensive way to support sustainable fashion is by purchasing secondhand clothes. By doing so, you are able to purchase relatively affordable clothing without supporting the mass production of new garments. You would also be supporting local vintage, consignment, and thrift shops, which is always nice. 

• Recycle Your Old Clothes

Choosing to shop sustainably is a great move toward a more eco-friendly lifestyle. Yet the issue of (literal) tons of textiles ending up in landfills each year still remains. To avoid contributing to this issue, think about recycling old clothes instead of throwing them away. Brands that have recycling programs include Levi’s, H&M, and The North Face. For some brands, such as Madewell and Patagonia, donating your unwanted clothes can get you a discount on new items. Or chose to embrace your inner diy-pinterest-self and upcycle old clothing into something new, like turning a t-shirt into a tote bag or old jeans into shorts.  

Noelle Hardman

Washington '21

Noelle is a senior double majoring in Communications and Cinema and Media Studies at the University of Washington.