Your Guide to Making 2019 a New Year, New You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

New Year, New me

“New year, new me” is perhaps the most recycled sentence during the upcoming of a new year and after the new year. Or at least for me, each year, I would have a fantasized version of myself being a new woman, with new hobbies, and better habits.

Sadly, that’s not the reality for most of us.

But, this year could be different, and I’m being for real this time. The only time you’ll ever truly change for the better is when you want to change for the better. Don’t want to change? No worries! Continue to live your best life, because sometimes change isn’t necessary, or instant. But for those who want to “change”, know that the only enemy of the best version of you is yourself, so let’s fight it together. Here are some steps you can take in the beginning of the year to propel you to your own steps and plan.

Make a List

This sounds cliche, but make. a. list! It truly makes a difference in having an idea of your practical new year’s resolutions. Feel free to freestyle with the list, it’s up to you how you want to perceive it.

Now that you have an idea of your resolutions, break it down into smaller aspects that are more do-able than the whole picture. Prioritize the ones that are urgent, do-able, faster, or more important. These will be your main focuses before aiming for the bigger picture.

Plan it Out

​From personal experience, once you have the motivation plan things out, it’s easier to follow through with it. Grab a planner, journal, or your phone. On a planner or journal, write down each day or each week what your goals for the week are, reminders, and make a to-do list. On a phone, use your notes app to write down what you need or want to do each week, and use the reminder app often to be on top of things.

Act it Out

It’s easier to become more motivated for your goals when you act it out! From the planner, journal, or phone, do one of the things on your list. By completing tasks, it’s rewarding, therefore, we will be motivated to do more tasks. Getting into the cycle of action is crucial to achieve your goals.

Another action that is highly rewarding is crossing things of a list or checking box marks. It’s strange, but works. By getting into the habit of making lists, goals, and priorities, it helped me become more motivated to take action for my goals.

These are some broad steps you can follow for the initial part of your new year, but once you develop this good habit, you’ll follow your own steps, strategies, and goals. It’s hard to be motivated to reach your goals, but I’m here to tell you that you can do it. For some of us, the previous year has been shitty, and this is an opportunity to be back in control of your life and year. If you truly want to “change”, you can. Always be realistic, but don’t fear taking big leaps. Take small steps first, and the large ones will follow later on. Be patient. But most importantly, don’t be afraid to be yourself.

Feel free to email me if you need a hypegirl, support system, or more advice.  

Tenzin Zomkyi

Washington '22

I'm a Freshman at the University of Washington, planning to major in Informatics! I love coffee, poetry, hiking, and hyping up my friends.