Life > Experiences

Writers on Writers: A Her Campus Interview with Anjali Schatzer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Ever considered being a writer? Well this week I sat down with fellow writer, Anjali Schatzer, on how she got started with Her Campus and her advice for aspiring writers. With a contagious energy and a drive for excellence, Anjali is poised to continue making waves in the years to come. I hope you find our Q&A session engaging and informative.

How did you get involved in writing for her campus and what draws you to this particular platform?

A: As someone who takes on more technical, STEM-based classes, I was looking for a creative outlet to share my thoughts on other issues that are important to me. I also wanted to find an organization that empowers women and allows me to explore feminine issues. I thought that if there was a group on campus like that, I could find a really supportive community.

How do you come up with ideas for your pieces and what is your creative process like?

A: Honestly, the people in my life are where I find my writing inspiration. I feel lucky to be surrounded by great friends that I can laugh with, debate with, and delve deep into certain topics with. It allows me to get personal in my writing and produce an even better article. I also try to see what topics people find important on social media and share my own take on them. As for my creative process, I try to channel the values of Her Campus when I prepare to write an article. Her Campus is fun and genuine, so I try to remember that when I write and say exactly how I feel. It’s totally different than an academic setting where I find it more challenging to express myself.

What advice do you have for aspiring Writers looking to contribute to her campus or a similar platform?

A: My biggest piece of advice would be to find your niche. The most impactful writing comes from the topic you care about most. Your audience can feel when you’re being real or not. It’s true that popular pop culture topics may get more clicks, but the beauty of Her Campus is that we’re a community of many identities. Her Campus is a platform for college women, but we are all so unique and have our own differing interests, so write about whatever your passionate about and the right audience will find you.

Can you share any upcoming pieces you’re working on for her campus, and what readers can look forward to?

A: Yeah for sure! I’d like to incorporate more health and wellness articles into my portfolio here on Her Campus. Through my grandparents from India, I’ve always been inspired by the recipes and wellness habits, like meditation, that they have taught me and have found it to make a positive impact on my life. I love improving upon my physical, mental, spiritual health and want to share what I’ve learned along the way with others.

Finally, what book have you read recently and do you recommend it?

A: Recently I’ve read If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio (you can check it out on my recent book recs article) and it’s one of my favs as of late. It’s written in a past/present narrative with Shakespeare references as it follows group of thespians and the events that lead to an eventual murder. I love that as you read the book you’re forced to piece together the story yourself. Definitely kept me on my toes as I read.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me Anjali! I hope to see your next article soon and I wish you lots of success in your future endeavors.

Bianca Bucerzan

Washington '25

Bianca Bucerzan is currently a student at the University of Washington's Foster School of Business double majoring in Finance and Marketing. She has always been a writer but will be publishing work for the first time on the HerCampus website. She enjoys traveling, singing and spending time with friends and family.