Book Recommendations for Getting Out of a Reading Rut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Despite normally being an avid reader, as we get further into the school year, I find myself having less and less motivation to read. After long school days and mountains of homework to complete after class, sometimes reading feels more like a chore than anything else. To get out of one of these reading slumps, the best thing I can do for myself is find an entertaining, easily digestible book. Despite the bad rap that these books often get, they allow me to indulge in a healthy amount of escapism from the daily grind of schoolwork and gray winter weather. While they might not be particularly intellectual or thought provoking, they sure are entertaining. I have compiled a list of my tried and true books for getting out of a reading slump. 

villains

If We were Villains by M.L. RIO

This book is definitely at the top of my list. Written in past and present tense about a murder that took place 10 years ago, it follows a group of thespians and the events that led up to this murder. As the story unfolds, we get closer to figuring out what happened all those years ago. This book had quite a few Shakespeare references which I did not understand in the slightest, but I still found it to be a really enjoyable read. 

Detailed Synopsis: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30319086-if-we-were-villains

Beach Read

Beach Read by emily Henry

Fair warning: This book is pretty corny and entirely predictable. However, I don’t think you can go wrong with a good rom-com. I read this book years ago when I was first getting into reading, and finished it in one night. It follows two authors who are, in typical romance genre fashion, arch-nemeses of each others. They find themselves being neighbors in a small beach town, each trying to write their novel. Both are experiencing writer’s block and agree to a challenge where each of them has to write a novel in the other person’s genre.

Click here for detailed synopsis: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52867387-beach-read

f425a0a70b0a77d8803788d441fedee2

The mindf*ck Series by S.t. Abby

Another option that I found to be extremely effective in getting me out of my reading slump is The Mindf*ck Series. It is one large book compiled of 5 novels. The series follows an FBI agent trying to find a serial killer who has been murdering people in their town. What he doesn’t know, but the audience is well aware of, is that the serial killer in question is the woman he is dating. The novel is written from a dual point of view, so we see both their perspectives, as the story unfolds. It brings up a lot of questions about morality and surprisingly, the reader finds themselves empathizing with the woman. I read this on the plane and was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see if she would get caught. It is completely twisted, but also impossible to put down.

Detailed Synopsis: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44799982-the-mindf-ck-series?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=AdIDy1hS5d&rank=1

c84ab9acd07868d67a7f00cd32f21d41

My year of rest and relaxation by ottessa moshfegh

This is another easily digestible read, and it is only about 200 pages long. It’s one of the most memorable books I have read in a while. The main character of the book is deeply flawed, making her perspective on the world all the more interesting. The audience follows her as she avoids her reality by sleeping for a year. Naturally a book about a woman sleeping is a lot more slow-paced than the other recommendations on this list. I think it is better suited for someone looking for a unique book rather than just a quick read. 

Detailed Synopsis: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44279110-my-year-of-rest-and-relaxation?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=wySA1ysB92&rank=1

Anjali Schatzer

Washington '25

Anjali is a junior at University of Washington studying informatics. She is passionate about technology and sciences, but enjoys writing as a hobby.