Winter Is Here, & So Are These Must-See Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

With the air getting more and more frigid, and morning frost covering the cold ground, it is clear that the coldest season is well upon us. With the seemingly short Autumn this year, we find ourselves transitioning right into Wintertide with little to no warning. As we tend to start spending our time increasingly indoors, we find ourselves begging the question: Where do we even go? Washington State specifically being one of the best places for natural beauty in the United States, the options begin to even broaden when it comes to visiting these must-visit places during the wintertime. 

Leavenworth

Leavenworth Lights

Leavenworth has been a classic, and very popular, destination for locals and tourists alike. The Bavarian-esque village brings the charm of a small folk German town to the Cascade Mountains of Washington state. 

Featured Highlights:  Icicle Gorge Nature Loop, Window Shopping in Downtown (Kris Kringl is a must-see), Leavenworth Ski Hill, Nutcracker Museum, and Stevens Pass.

North Bend

Snoqualmie Falls Sunrise In Winter

Next up is North Bend. 30 minutes away from Seattle is the town of North Bend, which also is one of the iconic filming locations of David Lynch’s cult classic Twin Peaks. Here, you can visit the breathtaking views of Snoqualmie Falls, then head over to Twede’s Café (also known as the Double R Diner in Twin Peaks) to warm up with a hot cup of coffee.

Mt. Baker and Bellingham

IMG_0896 Mount Baker in Winter, Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

For all my fellow skiers and snowboarders out there, a trip to Mt. Baker is a must. Even if you are not a skier, the views are worth the trip alone. Not far from the mountain sits the town of Bellingham. With yearly wintertime events such as the Fairhaven Winterfest and the Lynden Lighted Parade with the scenic ocean as your background, you are guaranteed a good time. 

Seattle

Seattle's Pike Place Market in a Rare Snowstorm

Last but certainly not least is Seattle. With Seattle alive with energy year-round, it’s even more when the holiday season begins, with events such as the Winter Solstice Market, Enchant Christmas, Winterfest at Seattle Center, and the Jingle Bell Run. For events surrounding the arts, check out the A Charlie Brown Christmas Holiday Jazz Concert presented by the Seattle Center (December 11). And of course the timeless performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker (performing until December 27).

Malia is an senior at the University of Washington. She is majoring in both Global studies along with Media and Communications, minoring Human Rights. In addition to advocating for reproductive rights in her free time, Malia enjoys running, playing guitar, watching films, and reading.