Wellness

Why You Need to Stop Doubting Compliments—and Start Accepting Them Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After a long morning of running around between classes and meetings, I decompressed in front of the fireplace in Paccar Hall with my friend. As we sat there, discussing a range of different topics, we stumbled onto the idea of compliments. We give and receive them all the time. Yet sometimes, it’s difficult for us to accept them.

When I was younger, I was absolutely horrible at taking compliments. When someone told me I looked nice, for example, I would dodge around the compliment. Part of me didn’t believe it due to my own insecurities, and thus part of me felt that the person was just saying it to be nice. I would undermine the compliment, unable to simply say “thank you”. Yet, why wouldn’t I believe it? I do look nice today! I do have a great sense of humor! Why should I not accept something kind? When you don’t believe in yourself, others begin to not believe in you as well.

We all have wonderful and unique qualities, and other people admire them. If someone tells you that you have nice eyes, you probably do! So why shut it down? Embrace it! When I truly began accepting the compliments I received, my self-esteem skyrocketed. I personally mean the compliments I say, why would someone else not mean it? Even if someone (a jerk) is only giving a compliment for the sake of being nice, that doesn’t mean the compliment isn’t true. It harms you in no way to accept it anyways! As a bonus, if someone brightens your day with a compliment, perhaps on a presentation/project you’ve been working on for a long time, let them know that it means something! You deserve it! You did work hard!

However, at the end of the day, people’s words are not what matter most. While compliments are nice to receive, how you feel about yourself is the most important part. The Law of Attraction really does apply! There is so much positive energy out in the world that wants to be near us all! When you give yourself that energy, others will do the same. So, compliment yourself today! Compliment others!

Lena Abovskiy

Washington '22

Lena is Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Washington! In her free time she enjoys attending concerts, going out to eat with friends, napping, and exploring the city.