jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Randall and Beth in NBC’s ‘This is Us’ are #RelationshipGoals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

This is Us is easily the biggest and best roller coaster of emotions I have ever ridden and you need to ride it too. 

There are a million reasons why This is Us is an amazing and culturally relevant TV show, one of them being the astounding development of each the character and their relationships. A prime example of this is the beautiful relationship that is Randall and Beth Pearson’s marriage.

Get ready to cry at how adorable and inspiring these two are (warning: spoilers).

Appreciating each other’s beauty

While Beth and Randall met in college, they still take the time to soak in how truly good-looking they each are. Beth checks out her hunk of a husband while he’s on the treadmill (one of our fav scenes).

Beth becomes besties with William

When Randall reconnects with his biological dad and finds out he is terminally ill, Randall makes room for William in his house and Beth makes room for him in her heart. Beth and William share late night conversations and even get stoned together.

Open emotions??? A concept.

Randall is a strong and emotionally present man, when his tears hit (which happens a lot), Beth is there to comfort him. The couple regularly talk about their feelings in a healthy way and show the rest of us what we could be doing better to communicate.

S-U-P-P-O-R-T, what’s that spell? Support!

After his father passes, Randall goes on a mission to improve the living conditions for the tenants in William’s old building which leads to a new business endeavor that Beth takes in her stride. Later, Randall runs for City Council and while Beth is initially opposed, she comes around when she sees how important the position is to Randall. Beth loses her job and Randall offers her a job on his campaign while also supporting her during her unemployment.

Their mutual love for Deja

Beth and Randall have so much love in their hearts and it radiates out to their foster-child, Deja. The couple works as a team to make a stable and safe home for Deja, who has only known uncertainty and it warms our hearts.

Big house, fancy car

Randall has always had a picture of success in his mind; big house, fancy car. Combining their success Beth and Randall make that dream come true.

Venting sesh

Beth and Randall love a good life talk but sometimes they just need to let it all out. The gossip, their challenges, everything.

Promising on Oprah

You heard it right, you can’t break a promise if Oprah is involved.

Beth and Randall are easily the coolest parents ever

We love Beth and Randall: resident mom and dad. Their kids Annie, Tess, and Deja are 1) adorable and 2) so freaking loved. Beth and Randall constantly strive to be model parents for their kids and give them the best life they can.

Sterling K. Brown (Randall) and Susan Kelechi Watson (Beth) IRL

They might not be married but their love for each other as humans resonates. Just look at Sterling’s twitter account, my heart.

Watch “This is Us” on NBC or Hulu—your heart will grow three sizes. 

Abigail Taylor

Washington '20

Abigail is a student journalist at the University of Washington who also has an interest in Philosophy, Sociology, and Spanish Language Studies. She spends a majority of her time writing, studying, and binge watching Netflix. When she is not obligated to these three activities Abigail enjoys traveling, taking landscape and architectural photos, and taste-testing every flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Find her on twitter: @abigail_taylo