Style > Beauty

Why Maybe A Bralette Should Be Your New Go-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In the more recent years, the deabte over bra or no bra has been raging. With the #freethenipple movement in early highschool to the blowup of the bralette, the choice of bra (and which kind at that) or going bra free are near the forefront of many young womens mind. While I can’t offer the best solution to everyone (since it will be different for everyone), I can compare and contrast different types and styles to help you make the best decision for you. 

So, what even is a bralette?

At its bare minimum, a bralette is typically a wire-free bra that focuses on being fashionable (think lace and pretty colors). it is often targeted at younger women in the highschool to college age. It is almost like the inbetween step of lingerie and an everyday t-shirt bra. So, what makes it special?

A big attraction is the wire-free aspect. They are also a happy inbetween if you can’t go completely bra free, but don’t want all the support of a bra that will dig into your ribs. Another aspect that many women love is that they are fashionable. It isn’t incredibly uncommon to see someone sporting a more covering bralette under a denim jacket, or under a tank top as a lace accessory. 

There are also many cuts of bralettes. While a triangle shape seems to be very popular, there are also racerbacl/sport bra-esque cuts that offer more coverage. Overall, bralettes are great when you want a little bit of support, but no underwire attacking you. 

Well, what are the other options?

Some of the more common bras that you typically see in the Target intimates section are t-shirt bras. T-shirt bras are exactly what they sound like: the bra perfect for wearing under a basic t-shirt. This is typically what people think of when they hear bra. With two defined cups and an underwire, this bra offers plenty of support and coverage. 

There are also sport bras, which are underwire free, but can be tight and restraining (and often fairly plain looking). Another typically plain looking bra is a strapless or stick-on bra, perfect for a going out dress.  

What should I get then?

If your concern is price, bralettes are typically cheaper than a t-shirt bra or variation of a t-shirt bra and they also have a larger range of style and are built to be fashionable and seen. They are also fantastic during the warmer months, as they are both cute to wear under a tank top and typically less dense than a t-shirt bra. Also, they aren’t uncomfortable to sleep or even wear as it can be hard to even notice them.

I think everyone should have one good t-shirt bra in their closet. Even if it isn’t your everyday go-to, the t-shirt bra does have its place (like under button up shirts during an interview). T-shirt bras are perfect for a tightfitting shirt or a looser flowy shirt, making them versatile. Don’t sleep in these ones however, as the underwire is both uncomfortable for an extended period of time, as has been linked to poor sleeping.

Sport bras are typically single-purpose (exercise support), and while comfortable enough for every day, aren’t always the best fashion choice to be making.And of course, you can always #freethenip and go completely braless.

At the end of the day, you should do what is most comfortable for you. 

New student at the University of Washington, excited for all the adventures to come my way!