Why Cashews Should Be Your New Go-To Snack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

My friends tease me that I’m such a grandma when it comes to snacks. They’re not wrong. I’m not a fan of regular candies. I prefer chocolates, specifically dark, trail mixes, dried fruits, etc. You can often catch me with a bag of trail mix or eating peanut butter with a spoon. But, if I had to choose, my favorite thing to snack on are cashews. And here’s a little secret not too many people know…they’re great for your mood!

Not only are cashews delicious, they contain lots of nutrients that contribute to boosting your mood and fighting against mild depression or anxiety. The Vitamin B6 and amino acid tryptophan in cashews help with the uptake of serotonin in the body. A low serotonin level leads to low moods or anxious feelings. Cashews help ward that off. The richness of magnesium and healthy fats in cashews also work as natural defenses against depressed feelings.

Nutritionists recommend eating about 1/4 cup of cashews everyday if you want to use them as mood-boosters. Cashews are a yummy substitute for dairy products as well! You can substitute cashews in making all your favorites like butter, cheesecake, mayonnaise, Alfredo, and of course, ice cream!

If you don’t feel like eating cashews plain, try these recipes add a little flavor and variety!

1. Coconut Cashews

These sweet treats are great to throw in your backpack for a quick pick-me-up between classes.  

2. Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps

When you’re craving Panda Express but know you should be healthy (and saving money eating at home…) these lettuce wraps are just the thing. 

3. Cashew Crunch Salad

Salads don’t have to be boring—try this recipe with cashews and a creamy sesame dressing to take your greens to the next level. 

4. Cauliflower Cashew Lunch Bowls 

If there’s one ingredient that might be as trendy as cashews, it’s cauliflower. Pair these two super foods together for an easy lunch that’ll have all your friends asking for the recipe. 

Go nuts, friends.

Alia Levi

Washington '21

I am a sophomore at the University of Washington. I was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. I absolutely love living in Seattle and attending UW! When I'm not writing articles for HC, I am dancing, studying, or exploring (...or napping!).