Whipped Coffee: What It Is and 4 Recipes Inspired by the Viral TikTok Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If you’ve been on TikTok recently, you’ve probably come across countless videos of people making their whipped coffee drinks to keep busy during the COVID-19 pandemic. This whipped coffee drink consists of taking equal portions of instant coffee, sugar, hot water, and whisking it vigorously to create a mousse-like consistency to put on top of any milk of choice. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a great arm workout. 

Whipped coffee has actually been a drink enjoyed by many in places like Greece and South Korea for generations. In Greece, it’s formally known as “frappe” and was created in 1957 completely by accident. Dimitris Vakondios, a Nestle employee, was instructed to promote a new item which was chocolate milk that could be made by being shaken in a can. Unfortunately, Vakondios didn’t have the ingredients he needed so he used instant coffee and cold water. He shook these two ingredients and it created a foamy milkshake consistency (Perfect Daily Grind). 

In South Korea, whipped coffee is called “dalgona coffee,” named after a popular candy meaning “honeycomb toffee” (South China Morning Post). Popular since the 1970’s and 1980’s, dalgona candy is made by “mixing sugar with water and boiling it until it starts turning slightly yellow. Then baking soda is added, after which the mixture breaks down and carbon dioxide is released. The liquidised sugar puffs up and hardens, becoming light and crunchy” (South China Morning Post).

If you want to make it yourself, just take two tablespoons of instant coffee, two tablespoons of sugar, two tablespoons of hot water and add it into a bowl. Once it’s been whisked either by hand or with an electric mixer, pour it over milk and ice once it’s reached stiff peaks. The coffee tastes great, but I was intrigued by what other flavors I could make instead of coffee. I found four different recipes inspired by whipped coffee that are perfect for non-coffee drinkers or anyone who just wants to try out a fun drink. All of these recipes were found on TikTok and have been approved by me! 

Whipped Matcha Latte 

Ingredients: 

2 tbsp matcha powder 

2 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp hot water 

Milk of choice 

Whisk the matcha powder, sugar and hot water in a bowl until stiff peaks are formed. Pour your milk of choice in a cup with ice. Add the whipped matcha on top. Stir and enjoy! 

Whipped Strawberry Milk 

Ingredients: 

Freeze dried strawberries 

2 tbsp sugar 

2 tbsp hot water 

Milk of choice 

Take your freeze dried strawberries and blend them in a blender until it forms a powder. Take two tablespoons of that powder and whisk it with the sugar and hot water until it forms stiff peaks. Pour your whipped strawberry cream on top of your milk and ice. 

Whipped Thai Iced Tea

Ingredients: 

1 ½ tbsp instant coffee 

2 tbsp sugar 

2 tbsp Thai tea (3 tbsp Thai tea + 1/2 cup hot water, brewed for 3 min)

Milk of choice 

Combine all ingredients except the milk and whisk until stiff peaks are formed. Place it on top of the milk and ice. If you can’t brew Thai tea, take an instant Thai tea packet and use 2 tbsp of that with hot water without adding the additional 2 tbsp of sugar. 

Whipped Chocolate Milk 

Ingredients: 

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tbsp sugar 

2 tbsp hot water 

Milk of choice 

Take your dry ingredients and whisk it with the hot water. Once it’s well combined place it on top of your milk and ice.  

Jodhi James

Washington '21

Jodhi is a member of the writing team at Her Campus. She is studying English and has always had a love for reading and writing. In her free time she enjoys exploring new cafes and having fun with friends in the city.