This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

About 70% of Huskies don’t live on campus, making the majority of students commuters. Whether by bus, light rail, car, boat, legs, bike, or blacking out and appearing in your 8 AM lecture hall, there are just some things all commuters should be carrying with them to and from campus. Here are a few things you might already have in your bag, or some you have to throw in stat!

1. Husky ID

Not only is your ID card your transportation ticket, but it’s also the key to enter Odegaard, the Health Sciences Education Building, Magnuson Health Sciences, Foege, and many other buildings. Remember to store your card in your wallet or protective cardholder to avoid scratches that could disable it. 

2. Snacks

Let’s be honest: on-campus food is expensive. Save money (and time spent waiting in lines) by bringing food from home.

3. Water Bottle

Dehydration kills—make sure to drink your water. 

4. Scissors or Swiss Army Knife

Look, sometimes you gotta open a soup can, and you have no other choice but to stab the top with whatever pointy object is closest at hand. Maybe you need to cut off a pesky thread from your sweater. Perhaps it’s about creating the prettiest notebook and flashcards. Whatever the reason, make sure you have the pointy object of your choice on your person. 

5. Hand Sanitizer

Gross things reside all over campus—tables, handrails, and door handles all make their daily occurrences in our lives. If you can’t get to the restroom to wash your hands, hand sanitizer is a must to feel and stay clean.

6. Download Entertainment

Entertainment encompasses all! I’m talking about podcasts, audiobooks, books, school notes (if you’re into that sort of thing), and movies/shows. It’ll make your commute go by way quicker and put you in a better mood for whatever you have up next. Pro tip—instead of purchasing reading material, consider utilizing the public library’s catalog through the Libby app.

7. Charger

I know, I know, there are charging stations in a lot of buildings. However, the ease of mind I get when I know I can just get out my computer’s charger anywhere and anytime, and I don’t have to search around for one- pure bliss. 

As for what you can’t carry and would rather store, the Commuter & Transfer Commons in the HUB has their day-use lockers and a fridge to keep your lunch cool! 

Happy travels, Huskies!

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.