What We Need in Today’s World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Another bombing killed innocent people, including little children, who simply wanted to enjoy the concert of their favorite artist….An outrageous racist stabbed the heroes who were defending and trying to protect the ladies bullied and humiliated…It is true that the human society is falling apart today; it is undeniable that something is wrong with the world, and it is unbelievably scary that the situation is not getting better despite of those who stand up and raise their voice to make positive changes. 

Personally, I am in shock to see the “division” made in today’s society based on income, race, religion, sexual orientation, home country, political preference and many more. I feel lost whenever someone blames their opponent because of the difference in their opinions. I feel ashamed that I am living in this very environment and cannot make enough actions to improve it.

What is missing in this world today?

The answer is “compassion”. It is the feeling of caring for others, listening to the unheard, imagining yourself being in the same situation as the unfortunate, trying to understand those with different backgrounds, and ultimately sharing your love. It is the driving force for people taking initiatives to unite the world into one big family.

We need to stop blaming; disagreeing does not mean they are our enemies.

We need to stop attacking; chasing revenge has never solved a single problem but causes thousands more.

We need to stop being selfish; money should never be more important than someone’s smile and happiness.

Instead…

We need to start caring about our “opponent,” our society, and our future generations.

We need to start listening to those who are ignored, brave enough to speak up, and telling the truth which could be brutally honest but important.

We need to start giving opportunities to those in need, our assets that we have a lot of, and our love.

“Think about the generations and say we wanna make a better place…for our children and our children’s children…so that they know it’s a better place for them and think they can make it a better place.” 

We do not need division; we need compassion.