Ways You Can Give in the Greater Seattle Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

These times are tough – both financially and socially—but here are a few easy (and cheap!) ways you can help out our community.

woman holding bouquet of tulips
Alisa Anton

1. Donate a bouquet of tulips to brighten someone’s day

The Skagit Valley tulips are no doubt one of Washington’s most beautiful and well-known attractions. But with no festival during peak-blooming season, these tulip farmers have come up with other ways to let our community enjoy their beautiful blooms. For $15, Tulip Town will donate a bouquet to hospital, nursing home, or other community organization and spread some colorful spring joy. You’ll also help keep these farmers afloat during these difficult times—a total win-win scenario.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

2. Treat healthcare workers to a cup of boba

The Moo Bar Seattle is accepting donations towards boba for healthcare workers! You can donate any amount in-person at their store in South Lake Union or through Venmo or PayPal at @themoobarseattle. Leave the note “Boba for my healthcare professional,” and your donation will be brought to hospitals like SCCA and UW Medical Centers. They’re also selling at-home boba kits and more on their Instagram page, so be sure to check them out for all your boba cravings.

Man holding puppy
Lydia Torrey

3. Foster a pet with Seattle Humane Society or Seattle Animal Shelter

With many shelters forced to close to the public and operate with a significantly reduced staff, our furry friends could use some extra love and attention. Since most of us are stuck at home anyway, it’s the perfect time to welcome some much-needed company into our lives. People all over the country have been inspired to foster a pet, so what are you waiting for?  

person holding money
Sharon McCutcheon

4. Tip a Random Worker

Seattle Tip Jar is a platform where you can tip as much or as little as you’d like to workers at your favorite restaurants, or anyone who’s been hit hard by recent events. It’s a super convenient way to show a little bit of kindness with payments through Venmo, PayPal, and other similar apps. Workers can also sign up to receive tips as well, so if you or anyone you know could use a bit of help right now, be sure to spread the word!​

Photo by Jonas Jacobsson on Unsplash

5. Help Keep Seattle Restaurants Alive

Many businesses may be unable to re-open following the current epidemic – this doesn’t have to be the case with a sufficient amount of community support. Seattle Restaurants United is a coalition of restaurants and bars seeking support from legislators to help preserve their businesses and employees. Join some of your favorite places in the city by signing their petition and Letter to Congress, and you can help them get their doors open again.

discussion
Photo by Antenna on Unsplash
6. Volunteer your time

United Way of King County keeps a running list of volunteer opportunities and regularly updates them with COVID-19 precautions. Many roles also require minimal time commitment—any number of hours you give will have a huge impact. Numerous remote opportunities are available in addition to a ready supply of in-person roles, so you can help out anywhere from the front lines to the comforts of your own home.  

Grace Zou

Washington '22

Hey there! Grace here! I like science, coffee, and cats!