Valentine’s Day Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I can’t say I am the best gift giver in the world, but I do know that some of the people in my life (including myself) would like these gifts. However, I do think my suggestions are geared toward a specific type of audience, so they might not fit you. That audience being: book lovers, cinephiles, and homebodies.

Regardless, if you are thinking about buying a gift for someone you love or for yourself, here are a few ideas that I had in mind:

BOOKS

Screenshot 2023 02 05 at 8.03.20 PM

Circe by Madeline Miller

Don’t act surprised. Books are always a good go-to gift. However, it can be hard to choose a book for someone. I’ve provided some YouTube links that I’ve personally loved by book-tubers who recommend books. Some of the videos are long, but if you look at the video description or comments, there will be timestamps for specific recommendations!

Criterion collection

Screenshot 2023 02 05 at 7.27.30 PM

Criterion Channel’s Collection of Female Filmmakers

Need a gift for the film lover in your life? I will guide you toward the Criterion. The Criterion Channel is an independent streaming service with a variety of films, some not even available anywhere else. Not only that, they have a beautiful collection of blu-rays and collector sets of your favorite directors. Here’s the collection list to browse.

a24 screenplay books

Hereditary BookLady bird bookScreenshot 2023 02 05 at 7.38.47 PM

Another great gift for film lovers and screenplay magazine buyers. I am personally a fan of A24’s collection of screenplay books. I currently have the Hereditary, LadyBird, and Minari screenplay books. I enjoy these books because not only do I think they are pretty as coffee table books, but they also include screencaps of the film, the screenplay, and many more behind-the-scenes writings. A24 has more than screenplay books; they have pins, stickers, and clothes for some of your favorite films. Here is the link to the A24 shop.

legos

Screenshot 2023 02 05 at 7.53.36 PMScreenshot 2023 02 05 at 7.59.03 PMScreenshot 2023 02 05 at 7.59.24 PM

Finally, I have a gift idea that would also be a fun activity to do by yourself or with someone you love. The LEGO store website even has its own collection for Valentine’s Day so you could look through the list that they have made! These are some of my favorites from the collection:

Zaira Bardos

Washington '22

seattle, wa writer & filmmaker Editorial Assistant for Pulley Press Publishing