Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Universal Standard is Transforming the Fashion Industry by Embracing Inclusion

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Clothes should be a form of expression that can be enjoyed by all women regardless of size. At Universal Standard, co-founders Polina Veksler and Alexandra Waldman created a clothing brand featuring pieces that can be styled effortlessly, are high quality, and most importantly are inclusive of all sizes. Since 2015, Universal Standard has been striving to spread the message of body positivity by offering clothing in sizes ranging from 00-40 and by having styles that can be worn for any occasion. Veksler and Waldman were able to create a brand that continues to empower the fashion industry by making women feel both comfortable and confident showing off their style. 

Recently, Her Campus Washington members had a Galentine’s event with Universal Standard at the Seattle showroom to make Valentine’s cards, eat delicious food, and learn more about the brand’s mission. Store manager Jessica Branning explained Universal Standard’s modern take on the sizing chart that helps women find their size easily and confidently. Branning described Universal Standard’s mission as providing equality for all women through clothing and to make fashion a fun experience. The members of Her Campus Washington loved the experience of getting their sizes and colors picked out in the showroom.

As a busy college student, I want my closet to be filled with options that are comfortable for school, but also put together for a professional setting. Along with that, I want to make sure my clothes are high quality and can last me a long time. Universal Standard always uses premium, high quality fabrics such as Peruvian cotton, Italian Merrow wool, and French-satin crepe. 

Let’s talk about some of my favorite pieces from Universal Standard. I love the Tee Rex tee shirt because it’s versatile and effortlessly fashionable. With the large selection of colors and styles like short-sleeves, long-sleeves, and v-necks, these t-shirts are a staple for any college student. A perfect jacket to layer the Tee Rex tee shirt with is the Kelsey Denim Jacket. Denim jackets are perfect for any season and I find myself adding them to most of my outfits. The Kelsey Denim Jacket comes in black and dark indigo denim that’s stretchy, not stiff. 

The jeans from Universal Standard are also a must-buy item. I don’t know about you, but jeans have always been a hit or miss for me and finding the perfect pair is the best feeling ever. The US Denim Jeans are insanely comfortable because of the built-in stretch. They’re a perfect fit for anyone’s style as it comes in bootcut, high rise skinny, high rise flare, and boyfriend style. Finally, I think every woman should have the Elbe shirt– a classic button down that’s perfect for a professional setting like a big presentation or job interview. I love that I can have a business-casual look with comfort because of the short placket and stretchiness, making it versatile and functional. 

Universal Standard is a clothing company that has helped empower many women and will continue to do so by offering high quality clothing that is size-inclusive. All women should have the confidence to wear whatever they want without having to feel restricted over their size. Universal Standard is the most all-embracing fashion brand on the market that will continue to empower other brands to spread equality and body positivity for all women. 

Jodhi James

Washington '21

Jodhi is a member of the writing team at Her Campus. She is studying English and has always had a love for reading and writing. In her free time she enjoys exploring new cafes and having fun with friends in the city.