photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Try These Easy Ways to Give Thanks This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The leaves are turning from forest green to russet and gold on the University of Washington campus, and just the other day we had our first snowfall of the academic year. Halloweek and (the first round of) midterms have wound to a close, which leads us into the holiday around the corner: Thanksgiving. But with the rush of studying, changing weather, and pressure to buy gifts for holidays over a month away (thanks for reminding us, Spotify commercials), finding things to be thankful for can be difficult. To make things easier for you, here’s a list of ways to be thankful this season.

1. Spend quality time with those you love

Yeah, okay, so this is a bit corny, but it’s true! Holidays are supposed to be enjoyed with the people you love, whether they be friends, family, your significant other, or anyone in between. Find those people that you want to be with and make a plan to spend some quality time together! After all, what else is Thanksgiving for but to remind yourself and others that you are loved? If you can’t manage to spend time with the people you love, worry not! There are a bunch of other ways to be happy and thankful down the list!

2. Indulge yourself

Giving to yourself is a way of giving thanks—not a form of selfishness. After all, how can you feel loved or make others feel loved if you can’t remember to love yourself? So whatever it is you need to do to feel good, do it.  If you feel best when serving others, volunteer at a Thanksgiving soup kitchen! If you have a hard time loving yourself because you don’t feel confident in your own skin, grab your best dress, spend an hour on makeup, and take photos to commemorate your confidence in that moment. Or, if you just need time to yourself, pull up Netflix or turn on the TV, order food in, and just spend time feeling good. We should all love ourselves, especially during the holidays. So whatever you need to do, make sure you find a way to do it.

3. Volunteer

As mentioned in the last tip, giving back is a great way to be thankful. Not only does it make you feel like a good person, but it makes others feel loved as well and can really make a difference in the lives of those in need.

4. Just have fun!

Times are stressful as a university student, it’s true. So prioritize yourself, and do something to ease the stress. Walk around downtown and just people watch, go on a day trip to Mt. Rainier or Bainbridge island, watch a movie, take a bubble bath—anything you wish you had time for normally!

5. Remember where you are

Regardless of how you may be feeling, take a moment to remember that you are at one of the best universities in the world. You have earned your place at the table, so to speak, and though it may be difficult to hang on at times, just remember that you’re already doing pretty great.

I am an out-of-state student from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am a Business major, passionate about the environment, and have a desire to spread knowledge. SK PC 17.