Life > Academics

Transferring? Here Are Some Things To Keep In Your Back Pocket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Transferring to a different university can seem daunting or even scary. You might feel like a first-year student all over again—overwhelmed and anxious. While everybody’s journey is different, there are some things that just overlap and that everybody needs. Here’s a handy-dandy list of things to collect before making the jump. 

Letters of Recommendation

Even if the university you’re transferring to doesn’t require letters of recommendation, it can still be helpful to ask professors if they would be willing to write you one. Having a good word can get you that research position or on-campus job at your new university. 

Class Syllabi

Keeping a record of your prerequisite courses’ syllabi will be essential, especially if you’re transferring across state lines. On the off-chance your credits don’t transfer over, you’ll have to prove that the information you learned at one university is equivalent to the information they offer at your new university. For that reason, be sure to keep a record of class syllabi and/or the class schedule. 

Unofficial Transcripts

This one is pretty basic. Just go to your current university’s student portal and save a pdf of your unofficial transcript, with all the courses you’ve ever taken at that university. Print it out and keep it for your own personal records. You might also want to save your high school transcript as well. 

Updated Resume

You’re gonna be uprooting yourself and restarting extracurriculars. Be sure your resume is updated with contact information, dates, references, projects, skills, awards/honors, etc. Having a resume ready to go whenever you need it is such a freeing feeling. 

Final Projects

Are you proud of that 10-page English paper or biology presentation? Then be sure to save them to your personal accounts! Keeping your final projects is a great way to see how much you’ve improved or can be a source of new ideas and inspiration. 

Emails and Word/Google Documents

Any account that requires your university email will have its contents erased as your account is deactivated. Upload those copies to your personal accounts. Many classes build on their prerequisites, so having past class notes and study guides will be beneficial!

All in all, remember that transferring will look different for each person. Be sure to talk to your current advisor about fees, credits, and financial aid. Take a deep breath, and don’t worry—you got this!

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.