This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The steps we take to care for our skin can vary from person to person. However, the products we incorporate into our routine can be universal. Skincare is important, and if viewing it as an investment, saving up to purchase a good skincare item can go a long way. A high price point might not always mean high quality; however, in this case it does. Read on to find out what products are worth the price!

1. EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 1.7 fl. oz. ($35)

SPF is super important no matter the time of year or the color of your skin. It helps treat hyperpigmentation, prevents sunburns, protects against photosensitivity, and reduces sun damage and photo-aging. 

The EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF is perfect for everyday wear, while protecting you from harmful UVA and UVB rays. With this baby, you don’t have to worry about it leaving a white cast once wearing, stepping outside, or even annoying breakouts. Don’t forget to reapply every 2 hours and you are set. Bring on the rays!

2. Tatcha Water Cream 1.7 fl. oz. ($68)

It is no secret how important it is to use a moisturizer on our skin everyday. If your skin is dry, you need a moisturizer to hydrate your skin. If your skin is combination or oily, it is also important to use a moisturizer to hydrate your skin because oily skin is usually a result from lack of hydration, causing your skin to overcompensate by producing too much oil. 

If you’re looking for a rich but lightweight moisturizer that is good for day and night use, the Tatcha Water Cream is the perfect match and my personal favorite. Good for all skin types, the Japanese nutrients in the Tatcha Water Cream will have your skin looking and feeling moisturized and flawless. 

3. Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb 0.84 fl. oz. ($48)

Although not a must, a good under-eye cream is beneficial to minimize the appearance of fine lines while adding enough moisture to boost the skin’s elasticity in that area. Since this area of the skin is so sensitive, a gentle and lightweight eye cream is best. This is where the Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb comes in! It is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates while being lightweight and refreshing. Patting this on with your ring finger is all it takes with this product. 

4. Farmacy Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum 1 fl. oz. ($58)

Incorporating a serum into your nighttime routine before putting on your moisturizer is an optional but important step to take if you suffer from hyperpigmentation, texture, fine lines, or wrinkles. If there’s one product I recommend splurging on, the Farmacy Honeymoon Glow Serum is IT. 

This serum works as an exfoliant, hydrating the skin with hyaluronic acid while exfoliating dull skin with a blend of AHA, BHA, and Flower acids. Because of the power behind this product, it is strongly recommended to use this a maximum of only 2 to 3 times a week.

5. SkinMedica Age Defense Retinol Complex 1.0 1 fl. oz. ($93) 

Skin starts showing signs of aging as early as your 20’s. It’s also important to keep in mind that delaying facial aging provides better results than trying to reverse it. If you want your skin looking youthful for as long as possible, adding a retinol to your skin care regimen will do the trick. 

Retinol stimulates collagen and promotes cell turnover, which keeps signs of aging at bay. The SkinMedica Retinol does just this, which is no surprise it is a dermatologist favorite. 

Retinol should be applied as a serum, before your moisturizer and only using it a couple times a week. (note: this should not be used with other exfoliants, such as the Farmacy Honeymoon Glow Serum)

Your skin will thank you!

Elly M

Washington '20

Elly is a senior studying Biology at the University of Washington. She has a love for writing, reading, and all things science or beauty related!