This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

With spring just around the corner, Seattle is currently experiencing a sudden burst of chilly weather that has taken many by surprise. If you’re anything like me, this means discovering random dry patches on your body. While my skin may be desperate for a heavy moisturizer to cure the irritated bumps and patches, my acne-prone skin makes this process a bit more complicated. Unfortunately, the moisturizers that seem to work best at adding hydration to my skin tend to leave me with a new problem of clogged pores and blackheads. After many years and countless TikTok recommendations, I have finally cultivated a list of which moisturizers are the real deal at various price points.

One of the things that have been most game-changing to my routine was downloading the Acne-Safe app. This app allows me to input the ingredients of any skincare or haircare product and immediately find out whether or not it is comedogenic (pore-clogging). It goes without saying that all the products listed below have passed the Acne-Safe test. 

1. Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer

4c4c845b5710329fa7994adb69ec06f7

Starting off this list is a lighter moisturizer which retails at $15.99. This product is best for oily or combination skin rather than super dry skin but has become a staple in my morning skincare routine. It doesn’t have many fancy ingredients, but it is non-comedogenic and is conveniently available at Target.

2. Honest Beauty Hydrogel Cream

d3406e73d4158ecff33e050e6a737d83

2. Second on this list is another easy Target pick-up. The Honest Beauty Hydrogel Cream with hyaluronic acid costs $19.99 and is my go-to for these cold months. I use this product nightly, and it applies like an absolute dream

3. Youth To The People Polypeptide-121 Future Cream with Peptides and Ceramides

76dc684aa73d01d28a4c671d704773ea

The third recommendation on this list is a bit of a splurge retailing at $68. The Youth to The People Polypeptide Cream is a heavier cream that is an all-around good moisturizer. It has good ingredients like niacinamide and ceramides and can easily be picked up at Sephora in University Village. 

4. Boiron Calendula Cream

0989b9eb9989c1acfbd119ed4ab63038

The following product is a bit more unconventional. The Boiron Calendula Cream is not a facial moisturizer by design but a homeopathic medicine retailing at $8.99. The Calendula flower is a healing agent that has been used for generations. I stumbled across this product last year when I struggled with facial irritation from face masks. I applied less than a pea-sized amount over my moisturizer and found that it almost immediately healed the irritation and dry spots I had. I now use it daily by itself or over the Vanicream moisturizer in the morning to “slug” my skin. However, if you are allergic to the Calendula flower, I recommend looking elsewhere for a solution to dry skin.

5. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream

24c26d9021a6662a92bd715798ef481b

The final item on this list is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream retailed at $20.49. This product is great for all skin types, especially those with oily skin because of its gel-like texture, leaving a weightless feeling on the skin. While I don’t reach for this as often (I much prefer a heavier moisturizer for my combination skin), my best friend (and fellow skincare enthusiast) swears by this product, so I figured I would include it anyway.

While I can personally advocate on behalf of all of these products, it is good to remember that skincare works differently for everyone. It’s important to try different products and find what works best for you while attempting not to break the bank in the process. ;)

Anjali Schatzer

Washington '25

Anjali is a junior at University of Washington studying informatics. She is passionate about technology and sciences, but enjoys writing as a hobby.