Tips for Moving from Someone Who has Moved Every Year for the Last 8 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I know some of us are over hearing all about COVID-19 and are simply hoping that we can go back to being outside soon, so am I. But first things first, because of COVID-19 I decided to move back to California. After a little over seven months in Seattle, I made the bittersweet decision to break my lease and head back to my home state.

Financially, it didn’t make sense to stay here renting an apartment since come June I wouldn’t be able to afford it. I say that because after June I would no longer be employed at UW, and the prospects of finding a full-time job are pretty low. So, living rent-free with my uncle while still employed made the most sense.

This move is just being added to the many moves I’ve made throughout the years. So, with all that experience I’ve come to learn a few moving tips:

1. Containers, containers, and more containers. It’s to your benefit financially to invest in reusable plastic containers to pack the majority, if not all, of your stuff. Containers come in all sizes, are mainly clear so you can remember what you packed inside and they’re stackable.
  2. As for your clothes consider packing them in trash bags. There’s no need to remove them from the hanger. Bunch up anywhere from 10-16 items at once, and pull the trash bags handles over the top of the hangers from opposite sides. I for one like to use Glad Trash Bags, especially the ones that are infused with the Gain scent. It keeps your clothes protected and smelling fresh.
  3. Don’t try to pack everything in one day, give yourself at least a week or two to pack little by little.
  4. Label your crap! Even if you have clear containers, get some blue tape and a sharpie and write where each box belongs (kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc.). Consider even adding a list of what items are in certain boxes.
  5. Keep a folder for any important documents you may have on the side.
  6. If you’re leasing an apartment, I highly recommend you take photos of your space once everything is moved out. This is just in case you want to dispute any potential charges.
  7. You don’t have to handle moving all on your own, confide in a friend or two to help you. Then treat them to lunch – you can’t go wrong with feeding people.
  8. Last but not least, don’t forget the bubble wrap. Your glasses, decor and pretty picture frames will not survive without it.

While moving to Seattle was pretty rough at first, after all this time I was finally getting used to being here. Not only that, but I was developing some great friendships and making so many plans for spring quarter. I may be moving and there might be others like me, but remember after all this madness is said and done we can always come back to this beautiful, rainy city.

Melissa Landeros

Washington '20

20 something graduate student from California.