Wellness

Tips On Having The Best Hot Girl Summer Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After a year filled with difficulties and deadlines, you deserve some time to focus on yourself and your wellbeing so that you can have the best mental glow up before we all come back to campus next quarter. So, here are some tips on how to make the most of your summer this year.

Invest in yourself

Hot Girl Summer is all about feeling yourself and embracing what makes you uniquely you. If you feel like you’ve been giving all your energy out to the wrong things and people, it’s time to divert your attention and love back to yourself. Have long bubble baths, go for walks or put on face masks. Do all the things for yourself that you wish someone else did for you to make you feel loved. Implement a whole self-care routine and as the days go by, you’ll start to notice the postive impact it has on your wellbeing and mental health. This summer, prioritize yourself and let yourself experience love and grow.

Keep a journal

Having more free time than usual may give birth to unwanted thoughts and uneccesary overthiking. It’s important to keep track of your mental health this summer and let out your frustrations, rather than keeping it in and having it manifest as a melt down. Journaling and writing down your feelings and emotions really helps when you’re looking for an outlet. Another similar practice involves writing letters to someone you trust, love or look up to. You don’t need to give it to them if it’s too personal. Writing a letter to your favorite music artist or idol may also help you open up and let out emotions that could be hard to describe. Maybe you could start adding mini paintings, scribbles and drawings, or anything that would help you feel calm and light.

Try something new

Summer is the best time to pick up a hobby you might have left in childhood or discover a new one that you’ve always wanted to try. Have you ever seen a video on YouTube that inspired you to create your own YouTube channel? By doing something that calls to you, you might discover a new talent which might be worth investing in. Or, you can pick up multiple activities just for fun. If you’re having difficulties starting something, maybe you could ask a friend to join you and have online sessions together. This would keep you both motivated and would encourage you to be more social, especially during this pandemic.

Manifest your dream life

Take time out to visualize what you want your life to be like and say affirmations that will keep you in a positive mindset and help you get over any blocks or insecurities. A fun way to try manifesting is creating mood boards, drawing your visualizations or writing down how you see yourself in the future. Additionally, you could start living your dream life right now by taking small steps everyday to create the change you want to see a few months down the road. And if you think that your dreams are unattainable, you should take time out to consider why you feel that way so that you can remove any obstacles that are limiting you from achieving your full potential.

Say no to toxicity

It’s easier said than done to walk away from the things you feel attached to. But, closing old chapters can open new doors for you and expose you to the things that you actually deserve. So, say no to relationships that make you feel trapped or put you down and let yourself feel free from anything that holds you back. Unfollow social media accounts that make you feel insecure or uplift unattainable standards and follow accounts that empower. Eat foods that make you feel good and try not to overwork yourself or stress out if you feel like you’re not doing enough this summer. Take this time to revitalize yourself so that you feel prepared for Fall next quarter.

Stand up for a cause

No matter how things might look around you, the world is far from being a place where we all can live peacefully without hatred. This summer could be a time to use your voice and resources to help others who are still sufferring. Spread the word through social media and share resources. Each and every voice counts and contributes to creating change and could help someone in need.

Mahak Saxena

Washington '23

Mahak is a sophomore at UW, majoring in Interdisciplinary Visual Arts. She enjoys designing, listening to music, taking photos and learning about Astronomy. She aspires to work in the fashion industry and create representation for minorities.