This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Once it gets below 50 degrees outside, it’s so easy to just throw on a hoodie and sweats and run to your 8:30 am. You just want to be bundled up, no cold breeze giving you the chills…next thing you know, you’re asleep in your 8:30 am because you got a bit too comfortable.

Personally, I love dressing up for any occasion – but as a Southern California resident turned Seattleite, the cold weather gets to me as soon as it’s below 50 degrees, and suddenly I am caught in a rut of only wearing jeans and sweaters.

SCARVES

Scarves are my go-to way to step up an outfit. Whether it be a skinny scarf or a huge knit one, scarves level up your style and keep you super warm! I even find myself a bit too warm sometimes while wearing scarves – but it’s worth it. A wide variety of scarves can be found at thrift stores, and I recommend keeping your eye out for a chunky knit scarf or a basic black one. They can be thrown on with any outfit!

FLEECE LINED TIGHTS

duJCcGAyoha2 T9QpnfgiUgucNnb4juMLS5eay3cdrsuJFhlu1cM6S51kG74SLqNmNVme0g2t3AkAcfuHHkYB6dEonjbFTIx0DtAOmnuVvm0 CkJFjOwJWejfgmyqoXV6XCp6nKgjNuN9QUXso2BVZw

Fleece lined tights are potentially one of my favorite Amazon finds. You can get them in an array of colors, including black and several shades of nude. I personally have the sheer black pair, and they give the look of tights-over-skin even with the fleece lining! A nude pair is also a great option, as you can layer a plain black pair over them if you wish, or you can simply wear them on their own. There are also multiple ways to wear them – my favorite way to wear them is layered underneath a mini skirt, but they also work layered under any other bottoms (such as jeans or slacks) for a bit of extra warmth! I’ve convinced a few of my friends to purchase them, and no one has regretted it. I 100% recommend!

SHERPA-LINED JACKET

Slk zSfH1 PXnvIYhYAWZFQYOrxnQSq4KgenRKKO 3ahr9KPUA LKOzioqhH3inw73mTqmIR0kwFMt6f8ZT2wWnFquWeJmxeps UvNuDh6twS328PpX8SGCoa XOoy3cQg5rDlAiLhTtaL4aTwLbjiM

Sherpa-lined jackets are some of the warmed jackets you can find. I recently thrifted a Roxy sherpa-lined jacket, and I’ve been wearing it nonstop as temperatures drop. The fluffy interior keeps you extra cozy, and depending on your style, you can find one with a leather, denim, or suede exterior. If it’s rainy in Seattle, I’ll throw my rain jacket over my sherpa-lined jacket so that I’m warm and rain resistant! There are also endless ways to style them, and they can be worn through fall, winter, and spring. Keep your eye out for sherpa-lined jackets while shopping!

THERMAL LONG SLEEVES

GMVr1PH4khi53nTzZ8dr3YFFlE7FivjMH 3yua919IlaZnIILhS2bWEsTxtCCmPXweLfL3j9PFNyqfENGmPOZn9gzfrrV09BzGDOCU8ytXheqnX3TE

An assortment of thermal long sleeves are essential for layering. Having a simple black, white, or gray long sleeve top thrown on underneath your outfit helps so much in keeping warm. While they are a great addition to your closet in practical terms, you can also layer them underneath tank tops or short sleeve tops to make your summer/spring wardrobe weather appropriate! My favorite way to tackle layer is just by adding one of these white thermal long sleeves under a baby tee – it looks stylish and keeps you warm!

I hope these tips help you stay cozy and chic! Good luck this cold season!

Abby Heinicke

Washington '27

Abby Heinicke is a freshman writer at the Her Campus at University of Washington chapter. She enjoys writing about fashion, thrifting, food, and sustainability. Outside of Her Campus, Abby is working as an Intramural Referee for the University of Washington. She also was the Editor-in-Chief for the online publication The OLu Muse. While writing for the Muse, she wrote about many topics, some of which included the environment, conservation, and high school stress. Abby also worked for Panera Bread as an associate. She is currently a freshman at the University of Washington majoring in Journalism and Public Interest. In her free time, Abby enjoys playing basketball, thrifting, trying out new coffee shops, and going to the beach when she is home in Orange, California. She loves rewatching 10 Things I Hate About You, and binging TV shows, Sex in the City as of late. She also has five cats at home - Peggy, Pepper, Natasha, Thor, and Bucky - all named after Marvel characters!