Three Must-See Movies This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

What do you get when you mix an iconic yellow tint, Cillian Murphy, and a fabulous fashion doll?

You get this summer’s must watch movies! 

I’m sure you’ve already heard the buzz about these films, but if you’d like to take a deeper dive into any of them, read on! 

Up first: Asteroid city

Coming to a screen near you on June 23, 2023 is Wes Anderson’s newest film, Asteroid City. 

Like many of Anderson’s other movies—which include The French Dispatch (2021), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), Moonrise Kingdom (2012), and Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)—his newest creation has quite the cast. Known for his use of ensemble casts, Anderson has made no exception for Asteroid City—the film includes performances by Tom Hanks, Margot Robbie, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Carell, Tilda Swinton, Willem Dafoe, Maya Hawke, Jason Shwartzman, Edward Norton, Sophia Lillis, and many more. 

The official trailer for Asteroid City was released on March 29, 2023, and from the looks of it, we can look forward to all of Anderson’s signature motifs being present in his newest film. His characteristic use of symmetry, limited-but-stylized color palettes, distinct costuming, and subtly mature themes has kept film lovers enthralled by Anderson’s creations for many years, and I’m certain Asteroid City will be no different.

As for the plot, it also seems to align with the quirky, yet meaningful, storylines that fans of Anderson’s work have come to know well. According to a Deadline article, “Anderson’s latest is a poetic meditation on the meaning of life. It tells the story of a fictional American desert town circa 1955 and its Junior Stargazer convention, which brings together students and parents from across the country for scholarly competition, rest/recreation, comedy, drama, romance, and more.” 

There seems to have been limited press and advertisement for this movie, especially in comparison to some of the others I will soon dive into. Nevertheless, I am extremely excited about Wes Anderson’s newest vision, Asteroid City, and hope you are too! 

next on our list: Oppenheimer

Calling all Christopher Nolan fans! His newest and highly-anticipated film, Oppenheimer, will be premiering in theaters on July 21, 2023. 

Oppenheimer will tell the story of none other than the “father of the atomic bomb,” J. Robert Oppenheimer. Based on real life events, Nolan’s film will be set during the time of the Manhattan Project—a secret development done by the United States during World War II that created the first atomic bombs.  Often looked at as one of the most transformative events in modern history, the development of the atomic bomb is said to have “not only helped bring an end to the Second World War but ushered in the atomic age and determined how the next war, the Cold War, would be fought.” In that sense, and based on the newest trailer released on May 8, 2023, Oppenheimer is sure to be an intense watch, not unlike many of Nolan’s other films. 

Portraying the infamous J. Robert Oppenheimer will be Irish actor Cillian Murphy. Appearing in Dunkirk (2017), The Dark Knight Rises (2012), Inception (2010), The Dark Knight (2008), and Batman Begins (2005), Murphy is certainly no stranger to Nolan’s work. I anticipate another wonderful performance from him this July, which will hopefully include J. Robert Oppenheimer’s famous speech, including the line: “Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.” 

Sharing the screen with Murphy will be other big names in the movie industry: Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Rami Malek, David Dastmalchian, Jack Quaid, Gary Oldman, Dane DeHaan, and Kenneth Branagh, to name a few. 

While I am incredibly excited for every movie in this article, I might be most excited for Oppenheimer. My history-loving dad and I already have plans to see it, so I hope that it lives up to the anticipation. 

and now for our final, most anticipated movie: barbie

If you know and love Bibble, have dreamt of being one of the twelve dancing princesses, consider yourself a style icon, love Ken’s classic no-thoughts-behind-the-eyes look, or are simply looking for a great movie, you must see Barbie this summer! 

Directed by the incredible Greta Gerwig—who has also done movies such as Little Women (2019) and Lady Bird (2017)—the movie is set to be the first live-action adaptation of the beloved Barbie cinematic universe. While living her picture perfect life in Barbieland, Barbie suddenly begins thinking deeper about her personal lifestyle and life itself, leading her and Ken on an enlightening trip to the Real World. 

The titular role of Barbie will be played by Margot Robbie, while Ken will be played by Ryan Gosling. Like the other two movies discussed previously, Gerwig’s Barbie will also include a cast of beloved Hollywood stars, including Will Farrell, Simu Liu, Michael Cera, Emma Mackey, Alexandra Shipp, and many others. 

As seen in the newest trailer, long-time Barbie fans are sure to recognize many of the Barbie franchise’s most notable features – Barbie’s ever-raised heels, fabulous fashion, numerous career paths, colorful dollhouses, and, of course, an overall sense of glamor and fun! 

Gerwig’s highly anticipated film, Barbie, will premiere the same day as Nolan’s Oppenheimer, which is July 21st. 

I hope you have all enjoyed my recommendations for a fun, film-filled summer, and I hope you love any and all of the movies you choose to see! 

Because I opened this article with a joke, I’ll close it with a question that is sure to be on my mind this summer: Which do I watch first on July 21st? Barbie, or Oppenheimer

Tara Boyd

Washington '26

Tara is a second year student at the University of Washington. She is studying English Literature and hopes to one day be an author. In her free time, Tara can be found reading, dancing, going to concerts, and spending time with loved ones!