Thoughts and Feelings on the Percy Jackson TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The following content contains both spoilers and opinions regarding Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Pretty much every single person I know just polished off their watch through of the new PJO show, including myself. Everywhere I look people are gushing about this new era. Who can blame them? It’s always exciting to get a new adaptation of such a beloved story (especially with the movies being such a unanimous letdown). I am a fan of the show. I really want to make that clear because I am honestly worried that if I voice criticism someone will cancel the show and cite me as their source. I want it to continue, just exactly as I see fit and how I want it— not how the directors want it. Or more so, I just believe that the fanbase of book readers might begin to disappear if things stay on the same course.

There is a lot of great stuff going on! I think that the cast is phenomenal. As someone who is an avid fan of the books, I think that Rick Riordan found a fantastic group of young talent to portray his characters. I’m really glad that they chose to go with newer actors who are (fairly) close to the age of their actual characters. Leah Jeffries is a goddamned star.

I have been really loving getting to be immersed in their world every week, and I’m super bummed that we’re already done with the first season. My friends and I have been having a fantastic time going back and forth on what our cabins would be. As a recovering Athena kid in my youth, I have been coming to terms with the fact that I am a Demeter kid through and through. It’s been a fantastic ride getting re-introduced to the story, but I think that there’s plenty of stuff to be worked on for future seasons.

With the kids already growing so fast— The way that Walker Scobell shot up like a weed between episodes was crazy— I hope they choose to film season 2 and season 3 back to back, especially as those stories take place only a few months apart as opposed to the year or so in between every other installment.

The fact that Percy seems to know everything the moment before it happens should be completely scrapped, for example. This constant pattern in his character completely destroys both the suspense in these high-stress scenes, as well as the fact that Percy is brand new to this world, and only knows bits and pieces from his mom/school. It’s important to the quests that he’s confused and scared, but instead, he seems to have some sort of Spider-Sense for every event. I think the most primary example of it messing up a storyline is the revelation with Luke in the forest. It’s supposed to be a huge shock and betrayal that the traitor was Luke all along, all culminating in the fact that Luke has a giant scorpion there to kill Percy. But in the show, they walk two steps into the forest and Percy announces to Luke that he knows, which rids the scene of the central heartbreak and treachery.

I think that the forest scene was easily the most visually impressive for sure, but the silly reveal really tore me away from it. I also find the fact that Annabeth was invisibly listening to the whole thing to be an odd choice. A primary part of her character for the rest of the story is that she can’t come to terms with the fact that Luke is truly evil. She is constantly gripping onto the idea that Kronos is in complete control of him, but her being there to hear him confirm his jurisdiction will make it difficult for her to use that argument. Without the denial, we also lose the conflict between Percy and Annabeth about the state of Luke’s control, as they argue consistently about it. The conflict helps fuel the jealousy Percy feels towards her admiration for Luke and helps muddle their feelings for one another. I think that getting rid of that plot point was a pretty drastic choice that could change the central relationships for the worse.

In a similar vein, I hope that they stop changing plot points just for the hell of it. I fully understand that books don’t translate directly to the screen and things have to change, but a lot of those alterations don’t seem to have anything to do with translation issues. There’s a severe lack of humor, which is what the books are all about. Things like the Summer Solstice passing while they were in the casino; I don’t understand what that did for the storyline. Originally, when they only had one day left, it made sense. There’s a big sense of urgency and panic, but in the new adaptation, it’s just like… okay? Shouldn’t you be smitten down at this point? It’s more confusing than anything. I believe that some creative liberties should be taken in any adaption, but I also firmly believe that that should have some sort of relevance to the plot rather than throw away changes.

They also seemed to get rid of the core parts of some characters. Grover’s character is driven by the guilt he feels for what happened to Thalia, and his desperation to prove himself and get his searchers permit. These concepts are all alluded to, but never explored in a clear way. Instead, we get a somewhat hollowed-out idea of what Grover is like. Sally Jackson also seems to be a less warm version of her book self, I think mostly due to the lack of reasoning for why she was with an asshole like Gabe. It’s impossible to understand her protectiveness of Percy while not understanding that Gabe was there to ward off monsters, and it’s never cleared up in the show. In this situation, it seems like she is sort of weak and unconcerned about Percy’s safety.

The Gods were victims of this too. I understand that we see them in their human bodies, but they feel supremely human rather than the earth-shaking Gods that they are supposed to be. Hades and Zeus especially are supposed to be two of the most terrifying figures in this world and they are literally just guys. The scenes with Hades were very funny, but not unsettling or nerve-wracking. I don’t know why Zeus didn’t show off his power by making some sort of consequence for the passing of the solstice, but it made him seem like he could be ignored.

There’s more I could say I hope for, but most of that is more from my perspective as a film nerd, so it’s got more to do with stylistic direction choices than anything. I’ll spare you from that.

I realize that this tangent really looks like I’m not rooting for the show, but I am. I want to see this thing through at least to the end of the “Olympians” series (and if we are lucky, “The Heroes of Olympus” as well). I will eat up every season with or without these changes! However, what a beautiful world it would be if we got some things straightened out so that we don’t end up with another version of the movies.

Montanna Lovins

Washington '27

Montanna Lovins is a Freshman at UW where she is studying English and Creative Writing. Her writing covers mainly entertainment media, primarily focusing on film and literature. Outside of Her Campus, Montanna is a member of UW’s Cooking and Baking Club. When she isn’t writing, Montanna is commonly found in local theaters or watching movies on her laptop in the dorm. She also enjoys reading classic literature, playing guitar, baking, and hiking to hunt for frogs.