The Lalatea Mugs Cozy Sweaters
The Lalatea Mugs Cozy Sweaters
Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

These Are The Only Tea Types You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

My good U-Dubians, I have done it. You might recognize my previous tea-related article from last year, and say “Fellow bestie, I was under the impression your list of favorable teas was complete! Whatever brought upon such a turbulent change of opinion?” Well, my friend, I have received ordainment from the deepest crevices of my mind. This winter, I awoke in the dead of night (sometime between 4 PM and 8 AM) and furiously scribbled down incoherent messages, the words still moist with pen ink as I fell back asleep. Come daybreak, and I find a philosophy, a tea philosophy, which no human mouths have ever uttered, no minds have ever thought. I looked upon the writing and wept, bestie. Truly, undoubtedly, my subconscious had spoken the truth. So now, I write these words to you, translated into American English for your convenience. Here are the types of teas to keep in your home, so that they may serve you well.

1. Caffeinated

For your early mornings and afternoon pick-ups, a caffeinated tea is necessary. Black tea, a common favorite, is always a safe bet. I’ve recently picked up a box of oolong tea, and I appreciate the gentle shove it gives me before classes. Earl Gray never fails me. Green, jasmine, or white tea also work, but they do have less caffeine content.

1. Illness

When you have a cough, sniffle, or sore throat, you’re gonna want a warm tea to go with it (along with a visit to the doctor). Increasing your liquid intake is important, especially if you suspect you have that cold that’s going around. A good lemon ginger honey tea usually does the trick for me. You can also try elderberry tea, for the antioxidants, or peppermint tea to help your throat. 

1. Sleep

A tea to help you wind down, and tell your body that it’s time to go to bed. Visit your local grocery store, and you’ll see tons of sleepy-time teas. Chamomile is one of my favorites. Lemon balm, passionflower, and lavender teas might also tickle your fancy. 

1. Everytime

This is my “just for fun” category. Now that you got the basics down, you’re gonna want a tea you can drink while doing homework, watching a show, reading a book, listening to the rain, talking with friends, or making and forgetting on the counter. This is your everytime, everything, everywhere tea. It’s your favorite tea. Maybe it’s hibiscus (also a good illness tea). For me, it’s orange peel and rosehip tea. Fruit teas are a good way to go: pineapple, mango, apple, apricot, blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry are just a few examples. A word of advice? Have your everytime tea be non-caffeinated. That way you aren’t staring at your bedroom ceiling at 4 AM. 

Now go forth with this new-found knowledge. Drink the tea. Spill the tea. Do what you want.

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.