Tea Flavors That Live Up To Their Long-Standing Popularity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Mother Nature, you are a tease. Only a few days ago did I feel the warmth of spring on my skin. Then boom – snow. Now I can’t even feel said skin. 

So, how do I warm up? Tea

Sometimes, you just gotta go back to the basics – the good old flavors and scents that never let you down. These are the teas that will always be there for you, through thick and thin, and through success and failure.

Earl Gray

Every cup of earl gray is unique, since the recipe for it is different for different tea companies. But, I must say, I’ve never met a cup of earl gray I didn’t like. Different kinds of citrus are mixed with black tea to make the most British thing ever created. However, the best part of earl gray is that no milk is needed – which is precisely how hot tea should be served in the first place. Exceptions are only made for karak chai, and even that uses evaporated milk.

Mint

Peppermint or spearmint – it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that mint tea is one of the best cups of tea for literally any occasion. You can drink it hot, and it’ll taste great. You can make a cup and forget it on the kitchen counter, come back, and it’ll still taste fantastic. You can build off of a cup of mint tea and add lemon, ginger, and even chocolate. 

But the best part is that mint is so easy to grow; it’s literally a weed. You can grow them from seeds or cuttings from another mint plant, and boom – free tea 24/7. Just be sure to keep that sucker in a pot because it will spread everywhere.

Black

The OG tea. Is there really anything else to say? Black tea is a staple in Turkey, China, India, Ireland, and so many more. It’ll never let you down, will never give you up, and will never run around or desert you. It has the highest caffeine concentration compared to green or oolong tea, making it the perfect alternative to coffee. And, like most teas, there are tons of health benefits to consuming black tea. It’s full of antioxidants, and will keep you awake, but not anxious. 

Ginger Lemon

Ginger lemon tea is the best tea for when you are sick or getting sick. Of course, this is not “technically” a tea, since no leaves are involved. However, the hype still stands. Feeling a little scratch in the throat? Simply boil up some water and throw in a couple of lemon slices, a bit of ginger, and honey. Let it all steep for 10 minutes or so, strain, and drink! Pair it with a good night’s sleep, and you’ll feel better in no time!

Happy tea times, Huskies!

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.