This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The University of Washington has so many incredible activities and locations on-campus and in the surrounding area. With its convenient proximity to downtown Seattle and nearby cities, there’s no shortage of things to do! As a student at the UW, I’ve made it my mission to create and complete a bucket list of the most iconic activities that are available to students. If you’re interested in making the most of your time at UW, consider joining me on this bucket list journey!

1. study in the Suzzallo Library reading room

Tourists love this location for its high ceilings, intricate details, and reminiscence of Harry Potter settings.

2. check out cafes on campus

Whether you prefer coffee, tea, or snacks there are a variety of amazing cafes on campus, including Parnassus, City Grind, Off the Rez, Microsoft Cafe, and more!

3. go swimming in drumheller fountain

This is a well-known tradition for UW students- but I’d only recommend participating after the fountain has been cleaned, which happens every 2 years!

4. Take a walk on the burke-gilman trail

This trail stretches from Shilshore Bay to Bothell, covering over 20 miles of paved terrain. From the UW campus you can walk to Gasworks Park, Fremont, Magnuson Park, and other natural areas!

5. Shop at University Village

For an upscale shopping and dining environment, head to University Village in North Campus. There, you’ll find a wide variety of stores and restaurants surrounded by beautiful landscaping.

6. Take the Light Rail to a new area of Seattle

The Link Light Rail runs from Northgate to Angle Lake and makes 19 stops along the way. There are so many areas of Seattle and nearby areas that UW students can easily access through the Link! You can even take the Light Rail to the Seattle-Tacoma Airport, which is at the second-to-last stop.

7. Cheer on the Huskies at a sporting event

Support UW athletic teams by watching their home games! Soccer, football, volleyball, and rowing are all popular sports on campus that are always fun to attend and show school pride at.

8. Volunteer at local organizations

Volunteer opportunities exist both on and off-campus in a variety of fields. Start by researching areas of service that interest you, and you’ll find plenty of opportunities in and around the University District and Seattle! Personally, the UW Farm is one of my favorite organizations to volunteer at.

9. Visit on-campus museums

The Burke Museum and the Henry Art Gallery both offer student discounts and showcase incredible collections of art and history.

10. Go to the University District Farmers Market

Support local vendors and try some amazing products every Saturday, year-round!

11. Find a favorite restaurant on the Ave

Take the time to try the range of restaurants on the Ave with friends. From Aladdin Gyro-Cery to Memo’s Mexican Food Restaurant, and Oasis to Cafe on the Ave, this area of the University District includes many popular eateries for college students and Seattle residents alike.

12. Take photos around campus in every season

The UW’s campus is too beautiful to not show off! Think: photos in the Quad during cherry blossom season, pictures around campus with beautiful autumn leaves, snow day photoshoots with friends, and capturing fun days on the waterfront in summer.

13. Visit iconic Seattle spots

Play tourist for a day and visit the Space Needle, Pike Place, the Seattle Great Wheel, and any iconic spot that interests you!

14. utlize on-campus activity resources

For cheap and convenient activities on-campus, go to the HUB for a night of bowling and pool or check out Area 01 on West Campus for even more game opportunities. If you’re interested in waterfront recreation, visit the Waterfront Activities Center (WAC) near Husky Stadium to rent kayaks, canoes, and other equipment.

15. Go on a road Trip

If you’re interested in exploring more of Washington state, consider going on a road trip with friends to other cities like Leavenworth or Forks. Many natural areas are also available within a few hours’ drive that offer a taste of the Pacific Northwest, like Devil’s Punchbowl or Mount Baker.

16. Work out at the IMA

The UW Intramural Activities Building (IMA) provides assorted weekly classes, exercise equipment, and facilities for students to use.

17. Join an RSO

The UW has over 1,000 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), so it’s highly likely that everyone can find an organization that fits their unique interests. If not, you can also create your own RSO with other students!

Feel free to modify this bucket list with your own personal goals! There is so much to do and see around the University of Washington, and as a student you receive many special perks that are fun to explore. Making the most of your time as a college student at UW is completely up to your personal interests, so no matter what I hope you have an amazing time exploring the university’s opportunities and all that they have to offer!

Sol Knapstad

Washington '23

Sol is a third year student studying Creative Writing and Law, Societies & Justice at the University of Washington. She is a published author of 5 years and loves reading, baking, hiking, and traveling in her free time.