This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In the midst of midterm season, us college students are feeling especially busy and stressed. I’ve had days of never ending homework and multiple exams on the same day. With so much going on in class, and everything else going on in our lives, it can be hard to stay motivated and on top of things. Here are some of my best tips for staying productive and tackling your midterms

Organize Your Calendar

Google Calendar is my best friend! I put all of my classes, events, and tasks in my calendar to stay organized. All of my homework assignments, chores, and everything else I need to do go in the calendar. I love being able to check off my tasks. Every week I update my calendar for the week, and I can always move things around or add things since it’s digital. I cannot recommend finding a system that works for you enough. 

Prioritize Tasks

When I’m organizing my tasks, I make sure to prioritize which ones are most urgent. Whether it’s assignments that are due soonest or studying for upcoming tests, I plan my homework for my day or week accordingly. 

Productive Procrastination

If I choose to procrastinate or don’t have any pressing things to do, I try to procrastinate in productive ways. Maybe it’s doing laundry instead of doing math homework. Or maybe it’s starting on your essay due next month instead of your project due next week. 

Avoid Multitasking

While I am often guilty of multitasking, it definitely is not the most efficient use of time. Multitasking distracts you from either task, making each task take longer. Since you aren’t able to focus, you also aren’t able to complete either task as effectively. Take the time to do each thing with your full attention.

Get in the Zone

Starting with easy tasks helps me start getting into the groove of doing work. Then I can start to work on bigger tasks and get into a flow state. When this happens you feel focused and it doesn’t feel like you’re doing work. While it’s hard to get in this headspace, it always helps me be most productive. Listening to music or finding the right environment can really help with this too. 

Hopefully these tips help you find methods that work for you to be your most productive self. As always, remember to take a break. While productivity is great, it’s so important to take care of yourself and avoid burnout. Balance is the key to productivity. 

Nicole Green

Washington '25

Nicole Green is a junior at the University of Washington studying Public Health - Global Health with the goal of attending medical school in the future. She balances her academics with time for herself by cooking, baking, hiking, traveling, playing volleyball at the IMA, and spending time with friends and family. Outside of school, Nicole has been a member of Her Campus since her freshman year, and this is her second year as Contributing Editor. She also works for a research study on campus, is involved in Dance Marathon, volunteers at Seattle Children’s Hospital, and is involved in the Greek Community. Check out her articles to see how she balances all of her involvements and why she has loved her time at UW so far!