The Best Study Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Online school has been hard on a lot of people. It’s so much easier to join your Zoom class from the comfort of your bedroom, but finding a study spot on campus can help us feel a little more motivated. Obviously, we should be careful with the Omicron variant of the coronavirus spreading so quickly. Still, I have found that many study spots have not been crowded and are the perfect way to improve focus with online classes.

First, it’s important to identify what environment you work best in and what you’re comfortable with at this time. Do you prefer to study on or off campus? Do you prefer silence or background noise? With this in mind, here are a few of my favorite study spots on campus. 

The HUB

My first study spot recommendation is the HUB. There are so many spaces within this building, and you are bound to find any type of study environment that suits your needs. People sometimes study downstairs in the Husky Den food court. I prefer to study on the main floor where you can choose between tables or comfortable chairs. There’s also the upper levels which is perfect for those who prefer a quieter environment. The HUB Lyceum room also just opened up as a study space!

Libraries

Many people also enjoy studying in the libraries. I’ve seen several people in my classes Zooming from Suzzallo and Odegaard. Both libraries have silent areas for those who prefer that and are great central options. 

Study rooms

There are several buildings on campus that have study rooms that you can reserve. My go-to study rooms are in PACCAR Hall, and I can usually find an empty one that hasn’t been reserved. Nearly every library on campus has study rooms available too. It’s a great place to study quietly or have a study group!

Population Health Building

My final study spot suggestion is the Population Health Building. This is a relatively new building on campus, and there is a Starbucks inside too! There’s a lot of casual seating and a productive vibe, which I love. 

With online school for the time being, it is so important to change up your environment from time to time. Being around other productive people is so helpful and a good reminder that online school is only temporary. You can still change up your environment when you are stuck at home. Depending on your situation you can try moving to a different room or spot within your home. Not studying in your bed is also a good place to start, even though it is so comfortable. Hopefully a little bit of change will help you find some inspiration and motivation this quarter!

Nicole Green

Washington '25

Nicole Green is a junior at the University of Washington studying Public Health - Global Health with the goal of attending medical school in the future. She balances her academics with time for herself by cooking, baking, hiking, traveling, playing volleyball at the IMA, and spending time with friends and family. Outside of school, Nicole has been a member of Her Campus since her freshman year, and this is her second year as Contributing Editor. She also works for a research study on campus, is involved in Dance Marathon, volunteers at Seattle Children’s Hospital, and is involved in the Greek Community. Check out her articles to see how she balances all of her involvements and why she has loved her time at UW so far!