Life > Academics

The Best Place to Study on UW’s Campus Based on Your Zodiac’s Element

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

First things first: here’s a quick run-down of what your zodiac’s element actually means. You’ve got the classical elements of fire, earth, air, and water. These elements correspond to three zodiac signs each.

Fire signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. Earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. Air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. Finally, water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. 

And, of course, these elemental groups have general personality traits. Fire signs tend to be leaders that thrive off of action and exploration. Air signs are thinkers and social individuals. Earth signs are known as stable, trustworthy, and practical. Water signs can be private and artistic, emotional and nurturing. 

Got it? Great! Here’s where you should study based on your zodiac’s element. 

Fire Signs: The HUB

The HUB, or Husky Union Building, is the place to be if you’re a fire sign. It’s open until 10 PM daily and buzzes with activity. Sure, you might get distracted by meeting a friend or two, but that would be the case wherever you decide to study. The cherry on top? The first floor features some cozy fireplaces, perfect for these chilly winter months. 

Earth Signs: Any Café

Earth sign, you are happiest when you are eating. Studying at an on-campus café will put you in the best of moods and help you to get some work done. Here’s a handy-dandy list of all the cafés featured!

• Denny Café 
  • Evolutionary Grounds 
  • Husky Grind Café, District Market 
  • Husky Grind Café, Mercer Court 
  • Microsoft Café 
  • Public Grounds 
  • Rotunda Espresso 
  • Starbucks Coffee, HUB 
  • Starbucks Coffee, Population Health 
  • Starbucks Coffee, Suzzallo Tower Café

Air SignS: Suzzallo and Allen Libraries

My air sign friends, I’m talking about tall ceilings, striking architecture, and afternoon sunlight pouring in between sheer curtains. With both quiet and loud study areas, there’s a perfect balance for whatever mood you find yourself in. Need a change of pace? You don’t even have to leave the building. 

Water Signs: Odegaard Library

Specifically the quiet 3rd floor. Hear me out. From the third floor, you can see all the way to the Space Needle. There are always a ton of people, but you never notice anyone because of how quiet it is. It’s usually open until 10 PM, which gives you plenty of time to romanticize your studies. It’s just enough to keep you interested, but not enough to be distracting. 

Midterms are fast approaching, Huskies. Better find a place to hunker down and get to studying! 

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.