Is Summer Nannying right for you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Working as a nanny is a popular job for many college women especially in larger cities. Nannying often provides flexible hours that often accommodates class schedules, which are subject to change quarterly. Furthermore, nannying can build strong familial relationships with both the children you babysit as well as their parents. These connections can be wonderful for a woman who may feel homesick missing her own family, and down the line your nanny family may help you network in your intended career path after graduation. Although nannying is not the right choice for every college student (particularly if you hate children) there are many perks to working with children part time during your college career.

How do I find a Nannying job?

Although there are many nannying jobs available in the Seattle area, the field can seem incredibly competitive initially. While there may be an abundance of families looking for reliable childcare, it is important to remember that there is also an abundance of college women (and some men) hoping to grab these jobs with flexible hours and desired perks (free food, potential study time on the job, etc). The most trustworthy and easiest way to find a nannying job is through networking. Maybe there is a girl in your sorority who needs to give up her current position due to a new class schedule, maybe your parents know someone who is looking for afterschool childcare, maybe your best friend’s “nanny family” knows a family who needs a Saturday evening babysitter? Ask around and see if any nannies you already know are aware of any available positions, you might be surprised to find they do!

If you’ve exhausted your pool of resources it is time to begin the outside job search. Newspaper ads, campus career center postings and even Craigslist can be great resources for finding nannying jobs. I have found multiple nannying jobs via Craigslist and have been fortunate enough to find amazing families whose children I love and adore. Yet, you must remember to be cautious and smart when using free online resources to find jobs. Always meet the family in a safe, public setting for the first time and remember to do your research. Most likely the family you interview with will “google” you, it isn’t a bad idea for you to do a little “google stalking” before meeting them too. Finally, always remember to tell a friend or family member who you are meeting, where you are meeting them and the time you expect to be finished. I always try to err on the side of “too cautious” rather than “too stupid”.

What should I put on a Nannying resume? How much experience should I have with children?

Whether you have years of experience working with children as a camp counselor/babysitter/volunteer/etc. or you are new to the childcare scene, nannying can be a great opportunity for you. Most families are looking for someone with at least a little childcare experience, but many are willing to make an exception for someone who has other ways of demonstrating that they are responsible and reliable. I filled my nannying resume with all relevant childcare and leadership experience. From camp counseling, to volunteering at a middle school, to babysitting to being a big sister…if children were involved I listed it as relevant experience on my separate “Childcare Resume”. Furthermore I listed health and safety related skills and certifications I had earned. If you are CPR/First Aid certified you should certainly mention it on your resume, if you have your Food Handler’s permit it is a good idea to say so! Of course there aren’t many families that will require you to obtain these certifications but listing them gives weary parents an extra peace of mind when handing their precious babies off to a new person.

What should I expect for compensation?

The hourly rate nannies receive varies. You should ask yourself how many children you will be watching, how much experience you have with children, how old the children are and the going rate for a nanny in your area. In Seattle the typical college nanny receives $15 per hour. Some nannies may accept lower rates if they have less experience with children or accept a job in a suburban area outside of the city. Some nannies make more per hour based on the fact that the children may be more difficult (for example one nanny watching four children), or require extra help (I once babysat for a very sweet boy with down syndrome and received more per hour due to the extra help he needed). You should think about negotiating a rate that is fair for you and the family. You don’t want to accept a rate you believe is too low as you may resent working for the family in just a few short weeks. Likewise, understand that a family with a single toddler won’t necessarily want to pay you $20 per hour when they can easily find another qualified student to work for $15. This sort of negotiating is good practice for your future career.

What qualities should a Nanny have?

As with any job there are a wide range of personality types who may fulfill the job description. There is no such thing as the “perfect nanny” personality however there are some traits that help in the childcare field. First and foremost babysitting requires responsibility. While there are opportunities to “text on the job” and potentially study occasionally, the safety of the children whose lives are in your hands should be your primary concern (even before your latest tweet). Patience is a close second to responsibility as children (like all people) can be difficult to tame. If you haven’t been around children since your own childhood it may take a few weeks to get used to the amount of time it takes to help children complete tasks such as getting ready for school. As an adult no one needs to remind or coeerce you to put your shoes on before heading out the door, with children everyday is a new…adventure. Finally, a nanny should be reliable. When a family is counting on you to care for their children, often times so the parents can go to work, it is crucial that you show up on time and when you say you will. Of course there will be incidences when you are sick, have an emergency, etc. however you should not abuse these “emergencies” as your nanny family is relying on you. Reliable nannies can be difficult to find, I’ve found that by being as reliable as possible the families I nanny for have recommended me for other nannying positions as well as non childcare related internships and jobs. Do yourself a favor and be reliable (you will thank yourself later).

Working with children is hard work but can feel rewarding at the end of the day. Summer childcare certainly has its perks (how many jobs can you find where you get paid to play at the pool or frolic around Green lake?) If you’re lucky you may just find a family whose schedule is flexible enough that you can continue babysitting as your schedule allows into fall quarter. Happy babysitting Collegiettes!

Jordyn is a history major, nanny and creative writing enthusiast. She spends her free time frolicking through fields of daisies, consuming copious amounts of iced mochas and blogging for her personal blog The Fairy Princess Diaries.