This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Personally, I hate when people say, “this song will make you cry.” I need some details, you know? Set the scene and type of vibe. Will it make me feel as if my boyfriend broke up with me? Are there undertones of nostalgia from a certain time in my life that immediately gets the tears flowing? Is it like a breakthrough in a beautiful coming of age film? Is it gonna put a heavy feeling in my chest as I drive in my car alone? Just to say that a song will make you weep simply isn’t enough. So, I’ve narrowed it down to my favorite songs for unique types of crying sessions from personal experience. Because I know if you’re anything like me, you know the adjective of ‘sad’ just isn’t enough.

Cayendo- Frank Ocean

To be completely honest, this song really gives off a ‘sit down in the shower and sob’ type of energy. Ocean is singing about a person you love moving onto somebody else and completely forgetting about the relationship you two once had, even though the love is still very much present on your end. The minimal instrumentals and very slow tempo add to the physical heaviness that genuine heartbreak evokes. There are countless songs out there about loving someone who no longer feels the same, but something about this one hits hard. Plus, it’s half in Spanish, half in English. What can’t this man do?

Stupid Deep (Acoustic)- Jon Bellion

I think internal conflicts and feelings of being unsure of yourself are even harder to portray through music, as heartbreak and rejection from others is what most songs tend to lean towards. Bellion tells the story of him realizing that all of his accomplishments have been done through the motivation of wanting approval and priase from others. Are we really doing everything for ourselves and fulfilling what we truly want? Or is it all just an act of some sort? I like to blast this one after I’ve had a day of feeling like I just can’t get anything right, or when I find myself to be at a big crossroads in my life. 10/10.

First Day of My Life- Bright Eyes

I remember sitting in my dorm room by myself, bawling to this song when my parents left after dropping me off at college. The idea of starting a new chapter of your life is incredibly intimidating, especially when you’re doing it on your own. The song talks about a new relationship, and how everything that came before it was simply preparing you for this moment. Bright Eyes produces this feeling of being unsure of your next steps but still jumping in head first knowing it may or may not work out. This song embodies what it means to be scared, vulnerable, and nostalgic; not sadness.

Liability- Lorde

Just as the title suggests, feeling like you’re a liability to those around you is one of the worst feelings there is. Lorde sings about how she feels like people just use her for their own enjoyment until they’re no longer amused, as they don’t actually care about her or want to be a good friend/partner. The only person she can truly depend on is herself. The amount of times I’ve cried to this one is probably not smart to say on the internet. It just perfectly captures the feeling of being alone through its lyrics and piano melody. Definitely ‘lay in your bed with headphones in and stare at the ceiling’ type of energy.

Touch- Sleeping at Last

I would probably call this poetry rather than a song. The lyrics are so beautiful and well thought out, and they are so easily relatable to a person who has battled with negative feelings for an extended period of time. In summary, it’s about a person who is tired of being so numb to the world and just wants to feel something again. When you feel as if everything and everyone is against you and you can’t seem to catch a break, this is the one to play. 

Fine Line- Harry Styles

In my humble opinion, “Fine Line” is the best and most underrated song on this album. The emotions that it captures are really unique, and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what it makes you feel. I think it’s unique to everyone that listens to it, and that’s why it is such a great song. For me, it’s more in the music itself than in the lyrics. The entire song is a slow build up to an almost explosive orchestra that plays over the lyrics ‘we’ll be alright.’ The idea of a ‘fine line’ is one that can be scary to face, but the reassurance of everything being okay in the end regardless gets me every time. Definitely one to blast in your car with your windows down on a late night drive while just ~letting it all out~

I hope some of these songs find their way onto a playlist of yours. Even if you’re not one that cries just from listening to a song, they’re all still amazing in their own unique ways. 

McKenna is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington but is originally from Santa Monica, California. She is majoring in English and minoring in Law, Justice, and Societies. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with her cat, shopping, ordering Postmates, and listening to The Spins by Mac Miller on repeat.