Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan
Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan
Walt Disney Pictures

Rom-Coms to Watch on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Whether you are with your significant other or having a Galentine’s Day with your roommates, these movies are sure to put you in the Valentine’s Day mood.

The Parent Trap

An all time classic, Annie and Hallie find themselves at camp for the summer where they realize they are twins. Soon they make it their mission to get their divorced parents back together, with the only thing stopping them being they live in completely different places. Soon they make a plan to switch places and the fun begins there. This yearly must-watch is the perfect way to spend V day.

10 Things I Hate About You

When Bianca’s dad tells her she can’t date until her older sister Kat dates, she’s forced to find her sister a boyfriend. Taking place in Seattle, the bet created by Bianca causes Patrick, a boy from their school, and Kat to fall for each other. The movie follows the simplicity of high school with prom and first dates, but shows it’s more important to be yourself than follow social norms. With a UW reference, a date at Gasworks, and many clips of the Space Needle, it’s a perfect film to watch in Seattle.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Journalist Andie Anderson makes a deal with her boss to write an article about how to lose a guy in ten days. While Ben Barry declares to his boss he can make any girl fall in love with him in ten days. Once they set their sites on each other, Andie’s craziness only ramps up each day, shockingly only driving Ben closer. With great friends, the New York City scene, and bizarre girlfriends, it will have everyone laughing. 

The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement

A movie with both Chris Pine and Anne Hathaway, yes please! A few years after Mia Thermopolis finds out she’s a princess, she learns she must find a husband before becoming queen. Finding an eligible suitor is hard enough, but falling in love with one is a different challenge. Soon Mia finds herself in love with her worst enemy, Nicholas Devereaux, who wants the crown over her. It’s the perfect royal romance with a mix of comedy and of course Julie Andrews. 

Chasing Liberty

A less popular one but still an equally as good (if not better) movie is Chasing Liberty. Starring Mandy Moore and Matthew Goode, the film follows the president’s daughter, Anna Foster, as she rebels for freedom. On a trip to Prague with her parents, she ends up running away with a seemingly nice British boy, Ben Calder. What she doesn’t know is that he is a Secret Service Agent and works for her parents. With beautiful scenery around Europe, Anna and Ben soon find themselves on an adventure of a lifetime.

Monte Carlo

Ever dreamed of impersonating a celebrity and getting to stay in their luxury suite in Europe for the weekend? Meg (Leighton Meester), Emma (Katie Cassidy), and Grace (Selena Gomez) go on a trip to Paris as Grace’s graduation gift. Newly step-sisters Grace and Meg must adjust to their new family life while Emma tags along. The chaos of the trip only increases when they realize Grace looks just like Cordelia Winthrop Scott, a British heiress. Taking her place in Monte Carlo the three get to live the life of princesses and find love under these pretenses. It’s all about learning from mistakes and finding true happiness.

Set It Up

Who doesn’t love a well done haters to lovers trope? Set It Up follows two employees who work endless hours for their corporate bosses. Wanting to get promoted, both employees, Harper and Charlie, do tedious tasks like getting coffee and making tedious appointments. One day they meet in the lobby of their office building and come up with a plan: set their bosses up to get them off their backs. My favorite rom-com of all time, it shows how sometimes everything you wanted turns out to be all wrong. It emphasizes the importance of love, friendships, and working together as a team. 

Each of these movies brings a different aspect of what love really means and that’s what Valentine’s Day is all about!

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.