BTC WELLNESS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC WELLNESS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

My January Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Here is my round-up of random favorites that I had for January. I think it’s always nice to look back on your month or even your day or week and see what things made you happy. It could be people, material things, content that you’ve taken in, new hobbies, or anything. I am not focusing on one category of favorites but instead, I am sharing everything that made my January all the more enjoyable.

Taking care of your mental health or well-being doesn’t mean that you are spending your last paycheck on material things, but it could simply be trying out new activities, a different way to take in daily content, or what content you are taking in.

Book: normal people by sally rooney

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Link to buy: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Price: $17

I am a big fan of Sally Rooney’s writing. Normal People is about two college students: Marianne and Connell, who always seem to come back to one another no matter what. Rooney’s ability to capture the complexity of each character and the growing pains within miscommunication creates a beautifully raw depiction of young love.

tv show: The last of us (2023)

Last of Us

The Last of Us (2023)

Where to watch: HBO Max

“The Last of Us” is a TV show adaptation of the video game that was developed by Naughty Dog and released in 2013. If you are a fan of the grumpy dad/adopted daughter trope, widespread infection killing the human race, and a journey to finding the cure for all of humankind, this show is for you. New episodes come out every Sunday at 9 pm ET. You will not be disappointed at the level of intensity, chemistry, and father-daughter love between Ellie, played by Bella Ramsey, and Joel, played by Pedro Pascal.

Skin care: la roche Posay TOLERIANE DOUBLE REPAIR FACE MOISTURIZER

La Roche Posay Moisturizer

Where to buy product: La Roche Posay Toleriane Moisturizer

Price: 40 ml for $10.99, 75 ml for $20.99

This is a bit pricy for a face moisturizer, but it has definitely helped to keep my face dewey and moist from the cold Seattle weather. The product is a bit thicker, but once you massage it into your face the product feels lighter as your skin absorbs it. I bought mine at the beginning of January and it is now the third week of February and I still have quite a bit of product left. You don’t even have to use that much; about a quarter size of the product will cover your whole face.

podcast: on my mind with Ava jules

On my mind with Ava Jules

On my mind with Ava Jules Podcast

Where to listen: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, and more.

Ava Jules is a YouTuber that I have been watching for a very long time, but last year she announced she would be releasing her very own podcast. She talks about growing up in your twenties, self-care, mental health, and much more. She’s definitely a podcaster that I listen to when I go on walks or when I am cleaning my apartment.

youtube: Hitomi Mochizuki
Simple habits that keep me happy & free | Embodiment Practices video

Lastly, Hitomi is one of my favorite YouTubers. She makes videos about spirituality, mental health, queer-safe and sex-positive content, wellness routines, and much more. When I first started prioritizing mental health and reestablishing my foundation, I binge-watched many of her videos. Her channel definitely is a warm, unabashed, and safe space to go to when you are in the process of healing, hurting, or anywhere in between.

Zaira Bardos

Washington '22

seattle, wa writer & filmmaker Editorial Assistant for Pulley Press Publishing