This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Autumn quarter is well underway…we’re already in week 5 and you know what that means: it’s officially Midterm season until Finals season. It’s hard to find time and justification for chilling out and taking a break with so much going on, but self care is important! One of my favorite ways to unwind is to grab a facemask, get into some comfy clothing, grab a sweet snack and watch stand-up comedy on Netflix. I love watching stand-up, both live and on video, because it requires such a minimal amount of critical thinking. It’s nice to just laugh at stupid jokes, and indulge in my childish sense of humor for some time.

These are some of my favorite comedy specials currently streaming on Netflix:

*all these shows contain strong language and adult content. 

Homecoming King – Hasan Minhaj

This is Hasan Minhaj’s first stand-up special, in which he discusses topics like racism, bullying, and balancing the expectations of his immigrant parents with his personal passions and interests. Minhaj formats the show to talk about his life story and experience as an Indian-American Muslim during high school and college, making this a relatable show for all. It is so refreshing to see someone talking about movies, parenting norms, and trends that I can relate to, that I also experienced as a kid. This special is worth watching for the nostalgia alone.

Immigrant – Maz Jobrani

In this comedy standup, Iranian-American comedian Maz Jobrani focuses on the current political environment, revolving his routine around the Trump Administration and its anti-immigrant policies. He makes it a point to talk about just how important immigrants are to the United States, and how much they contribute to society. I personally like his focus on how the term “immigrant” entails a community, and I appreciate how he highlights the diversity within that community. I learned a lot throughout the special about other cultures, particularly Middle Eastern cultures, that I didn’t think hard about because I generally thought of them as falling under a more general term: “immigrant”.

Baby Cobra / Hard Knock Wife – Ali Wong

In these two specials, Ali Wong talks about her journey as a mother – from meeting her husband, to the rocky road of pregnancy, to the joys and pressures of motherhood. She uses this storyline to weave in seamless anecdotes about her own upbringing as a Chinese-American, and the ways in which her culture and parents have influenced her modern values. There is something truly special about listening to a comedy special performed by a woman of color. The jokes hit far closer to home than most, and the topics delve into relatable subjects like beauty standards and gender role expectations.

Kid Gorgeous / New in Town / Comeback Kid – John Mulaney

John Mulaney may be one of the funniest and most natural stand up comedians I’ve ever seen. After years of working at SNL, he has mastered the art of comedic timing, word choice, diction, and satire. He covers so many topics in a single show, from a critique of Trump supporters, to the difficulties of making a Happy Birthday sign, to the strangeities of modern dating norms. I highly recommend all three of his stand-up specials, which are all available to stream on Netflix.

Abroad Understanding – Vir Das

Vir Das is an Indian stand-up comedian who started in Bollywood but found his calling in stand up performance. I had the honor of watching Vir Das perform here in Seattle last April, at the Neptune Theater just 5 minutes away from UW. The best word I can use to describe this man is “authentic”. There is so much love and heart in all of his jokes, as they all stem from his personal life and revolve around topics that preach inclusion and acceptance. In this standup special, he wants to make it known than though we live on opposite ends of the world, South Asians and Americans are not that different. His show is unique in that half of it is filmed in San Francisco, and the other half is filmed in New Delhi, and he covers difficult topics that we are often afraid to discuss, like religion, terrorism, politics, and racism.

I wish you all lots of laughs! Enjoy!

Rohini Mettu

Washington '22

My name is Rohini Mettu, and I'm a self-taught, aspiring photographer and graphic designer in the Pacific Northwest. I love my hometown of Seattle, but I also love traveling the world and meeting new people! My other hobbies include painting, dancing, and binge watching Friends and the Office :)